London’s opportunity to lead the world with an ambitious Car Free Day 2018
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Letter of support for an ambitious Car Free Day 2018
Attn: Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London
RE: London’s opportunity to lead the world with an ambitious Car Free Day 2018
London is a global research leader in public health and sustainable transport, urban planning, and architecture. In response to the public health crisis of urban air pollution, London is beginning to show the leadership it is capable of to transform the city into an international model for healthy streets and sustainable urban growth. World Car Free Day 2018 is a tremendous opportunity to catalyse long-term reductions in air pollution, improve London’s transport system by reducing the number of private cars on our roads, and to promote walking in enhanced pedestrian space with efficient movement around key transportation hubs across the city. But no one organisation or level of government can do it alone. With the right level of commitment, coordination and collaboration, the citizens of London, community groups, local businesses, and our government can achieve an ambitious vision for Car Free Day 2018.
Car Free Day 2018 is an opportunity for communities across the city to implement local visions for improved public health, safety, and mobility. The day would promote walking in enjoyable pedestrian-friendly environments across the city, and would enhance the quality of life by enabling safe access to our major streets. Themes raised in the organisation and execution of an ambitious Car Free Day align with London’s global leadership ambitions on urban environmental protection and sustainable development. Car Free Day 2018 would be an occasion for London’s diverse communities to come together and enjoy shared celebrations on car-free streets across the capital. Other cities around the world, including Bogota, Jakarta, Paris, and Brussels, all celebrate Car Free Day at least once a year. It is a weekly event in the case of Jakarta, a metropolis of 10 million people.
We believe that, working together, we can meet the Mayor’s goals of promoting healthy streets and improving air quality across the capital and chart a new course towards health and sustainability in the one of the world’s great cities.
We were pleased that your draft Transport strategy proposed that “[m]ore car-free days in central London, town centres and high streets would enable people to experience their local area from a different perspective”. We therefore ask you to publicly support an ambitious Car Free Day on or around 22 September 2018, and to use your powers to work with our community groups and with important stakeholders, including TfL and local councils, to achieve this in 2018 and in future years.
We look forward to hearing about the actions you plan to take.
- Air Quality Brentford (London Borough of Brentford)
- Basil Clarke, on behalf of the Palmers Green Community website.
- Better Streets for Enfield (London Borough of Enfield)
- Better Streets Tower Hamlets (London Borough of Tower Hamlets)
- Bloomsbury Air (London Borough of Camden)
- Blue Green Dream, Imperial College London
- Campaign for Better Transport (London)
- Car Free Day Lambeth (London Borough of Lambeth)
- Clean Air Merton (London Borough of Merton)
- Councillor Caroline Russell (London Borough of Islington)
- Dartmouth Park Neighbourhood Forum (London Borough of Camden)
- Decolonising Our Minds Society, SOAS University of London
- Eco Action Games (London)
- Emma Dent Coad, Labour Member of British Parliament for Kensington
- Empathy Walks (London)
- Focus E15 Campaign (London Borough of Newham, Ward of Stratford and New Town)
- Friends of the Earth (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
- Friends of the Earth (London Borough of Barnet)
- Friends of the Earth (London Borough of Croydon)
- Friends of the Earth (London Borough of Ealing)
- Friends of the Earth (London Borough of Havering)
- Friends of the Earth (London Borough of Wandsworth)
- Friends of the Earth (London Boroughs of Hackney and Tower Hamlets)
- Friends of the Earth Tottenham & Wood Green (London Borough of Haringey)
- Green Bermondsey (London Borough of Southwark)
- Green Gumption
- Green Westway (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- Grenfell Action Group (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- Hackbridge and Beddington Corner Neighbourhood Development Group (London Borough of Sutton)
- Harlesden Neighbourhood Forum (London Borough of Brent)
- Inner London Area Ramblers
- JustMap (London)
- King's College London, Environmental Research Group
- Lee Forum
- London Cycling Campaign
- London Living Streets
- London National Park City
- London Sustainability Exchange (LSx)
- Make Air Safe and Clean (MASC) (London Borough of Richmond upon Thames)
- MP Smarter Travel
- Mums for Lungs
- Neu Architects Ltd. (London Borough of Tower Hamlets)
- New London Architecture
- Norwood Action Group (London Borough of Lambeth)
- Norwood Collective
- Ofo UK
- Our Air Our Health (London Borough of Tower Hamlets)
- RAP23 (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- St Helens Residents Association (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- Suzy Harrison, Sustainable Travel Co-ordinator, on behalf of Lambeth Transport (London Borough of Lambeth)
- The Kensington Society
- Tower Hamlets Wheelers (London Borough of Tower Hamlets)
- Ubele (London)
- Walks Around Britain
- Westway Trust (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- Westway23 (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- Zaha Hadid Architects
If your group or organisation would also like to sign this open letter, please email us at email@example.com and we will add you to the list of endorsers above.
Today: London Car Free Day is counting on you
London Car Free Day needs your help with “Sadiq Khan: London’s opportunity to lead the world with an ambitious Car Free Day 2018”. Join London Car Free Day and 385 supporters today.