Recall Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan
0 have signed. Let’s get to 50,000!
PLEDGE TO SIGN THE PETITION: recalldurkan.org Please go to our website and pledge to sign, then you'll know ASAP when and where to sign when we're ready!
The Court has approved the petition and we are now preparing to gather signatures. You can help by volunteering to help the campaign organization (you can do this from home!) OR you can create your OWN signature-gathering effort with your network.
Mayor Jenny Durkan has allowed the Seattle Police Department to use chemical warfare against us, the residents of Seattle. The ACLU had to step in to get the police to stop using chemical weapons because the Mayor wouldn't do it.
Washington State law gives voters the power to recall and remove their elected officials through a paper petition, and this includes Mayor Jenny Durkan.
How many signatures are needed? 56,202. You can help! Contact us to volunteer.
Every signature puts more pressure on Mayor Durkan to pay attention to the voters.
Is there a precedent?
Yes. Mayors in WA State have been recalled before. The law currently requires a statement of specific acts as grounds for recall and a petition with the number of signatures equal to 25% of the votes cast in the mayoral election.
What happens next?
- [Complete] Building a case for mayoral misconduct
- [Complete] File an official petition
- [Complete] King County Elections prepares a ballot synopsis
- [Complete] The King County Superior Court approves the petition
- Collect the number of registered voter signatures required
- Special election
Where can I read more about this?
Reports on recent police action in Seattle:
- The Stranger: Seattle Police Use Tear Gas, Durkan Announces Several Day Curfew
- Capitol Hill Seattle Blog: Tear gas and flash grenades at Capitol Hill’s East Precinct
- Seattle Times: Seattle police continue to use ‘flash-bang’ grenades during protests, despite recommendations
Stories about mayors that have been recalled:
- Seattle mayor Hiram Gill, 1911 History Link
- Spokane mayor James West, 2005 Seattle Pi
- Pacific Mayor Cy Sun, 2013 Seattle Times
Washington law that covers recalls:
ACLU’s reactions to the WTO demonstrations in 1999:
- ACLU Report Says Response to Seattle WTO Protests Was 'Flawed, Out of Control'
- ACLU Calls for Action in Response to Civil Liberties Violations During WTO Protests
ACLU’s report on the WTO demonstrations:
Articles about rulings as a result of the WTO demonstrations:
- Seattle Times: Jury Says Seattle Violated Right of WTO Protesters
- Seattle Pi: Jury says Seattle violated WTO protesters' rights
- Seattle Times: City to pay protesters $250,000 to settle WTO suit
Vote counts for the 2017 Seattle mayoral election:
Twitter: @recall_durkan #recalldurkan
Photo credit to Insider
Disclaimer: The writer of this change.org petition is not a lawyer and is not providing legal advice. Consult with an attorney for advisement. This petition and related parties assume no liability for actions taken as a result of this posting.
Today: Elliott is counting on you
Elliott Harvey needs your help with “Recall Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan”. Join Elliott and 43,590 supporters today.