Increase minimum recess time from 15 minutes to at least 20 minutes per day.
This petition had 649 supporters
We believe that the PGCPS should extend the current minimum recess time from 15 minutes to at least 20 minutes per day.
Some elementary school students in Prince George’s County have as little as 15 minutes of recess per day. PGCPS policy states that recess for students in kindergarten through fifth grade should be “no less than 15 minutes per day and for no more than 30 minutes per day.”
In a 2013 policy statement, the American Academy of Pediatrics has written about the “crucial role” of recess as an “essential, planned respite from rigorous cognitive tasks.” The AAP does not recommend a specific number of minutes for daily recess. However, its recess policy statement notes that across the nation, “the length specified for recess ranges widely, from 20 to 60 minutes per day,” suggesting that a 15 minute recess is outside the norm.
- Montgomery County requires that recess for elementary school students be between 20 and 30 minutes.
- Howard County elementary schools schedule a 30 minute recess into the school day.
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools cites on its website the recommendation of the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) that recess be at least 20 minutes per day. (Read the full NASPE statement here.)
- Fairfax County elementary schools recently increased their scheduled recess to 20 minutes per day, after the recent move to a full-day schedule on Mondays.
- DC Public Schools allow for a minimum of 20 minutes of recess per day in elementary school.
We are voicing our concern about the county policy and urge you to increase the minimum recess length of PG Elementary students by at least five minutes. Those additional five minutes would represent a 33% increase over the current minimum length. Five minutes would make an important difference for our children.
Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Today: Katherine is counting on you
Katherine McElhenny needs your help with “Prince George's county board of education: Increase minimum recess time from 15 minutes to at least 20 minutes per day.”. Join Katherine and 648 supporters today.