Norfolk County Council: No Cuts to Library Services
This petition had 1,623 supporters
Norfolk County Council are currently considering yet more cuts to local services on the back of further cuts in government funding. Among the options on the table are huge cuts to Library services in Norfolk. An in-depth, councillor-led report was put to NCC on 9 September which mentions the important role Norfolk Libraries play in the community, that they are great value for money and that the service should not be reduced. However, elsewhere in the same report a cut to the budget of 25% is proposed which would see staff and book stock reductions and would mean that within 3 years NCC would be unable to run more than around 30 libraries. What this would mean is:
- cutting the heart out of local communities
- job seekers not assisted
- adults' and children's education not supported
- vulnerable people being denied access to a safe and welcoming environment
NCC currently spends just 2% on Cutural Services (Libraries, Museums and Archives) and the Library service has already had its budget reduced from £12.5m in 2003/4 to £9.6m in 2015
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Sign this petition!!
- Write to your local MP, County Councillor, City Councillor, the local newspaper - tell them why you value Library services
- Join local anti-cuts protests!
BUT PLEASE DO IT SOON. COUNCILLORS ARE DISCUSSING CUTS TO SERVICES NOW!
Today: Marion is counting on you
Marion Fallon needs your help with “Norfolk County Council: Norfolk County Council: No Cuts to Library Services”. Join Marion and 1,622 supporters today.