Michael Latifi: Stop endangering activists! Negotiate a safety agreement at Fearmans now!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!
Toronto Pig Save activists have been bearing witness at weekly vigils at Fearmans slaughterhouse in Burlington, Ontario, since 2011 and have raised safety concerns with Fearmans regarding a significant minority of aggressive truck drivers. There have been numerous close calls over the years with peaceful activists nearly being severely injured or worse by the transport trucks. A few times activists have been hit at the traffic lights at the entrance to Fearmans at Harvester Road. On one occasion an activist was even taken to hospital with a cracked rib after a truck ran into her on the service road leading to the slaughterhouse.
Here are a couple of examples of activists, Chris and Sabrina, nearly being hit by trucks:
Our requests have been repeatedly ignored. This is unacceptable.
- We call on Michael Latifi, CEO of Sofina Foods and Fearmans slaughterhouse to set up a Safety Agreement to enable us to safely bear witness to the pigs at weekly vigils.
We have the right and duty to bear witness to the suffering pigs and Fearmans have a duty to help us make our vigils as safe as possible. The solutions are simple.
- We call on Fearmans to keep the security gate closed for five minutes for each transport truck to allow us to safely bear witness.
In Toronto, the security guard at Ryding-Regency Meat Packers keeps the gates shut for a set time so activists can safely bear witness. In Los Angeles, the LA police department facilitates a safety agreement at weekly vigils by stopping the trucks to allow activists to bear witness and give water to the pigs for a set time prior to the trucks entering Farmer John slaughterhouse at LA Animal Save's weekly vigils. The Save Movement has over 500 groups around the world and many chapters have safety agreements in place to enable activists to safely bear witness to the animals arriving to be killed. There is no excuse or reason for Fearmans and Michael Latifi to continually put activists lives in danger.
- We call on Fearmans and Sofina Foods to be part of the solution and shift to a plant based protein company and thereby save lives and avoid the risks of drought, floods and extreme heat associated with catastrophic climate change.
Fearmans kills 10,000 pigs a day, over 2.5 million pigs a year, each an individual who does not want to die. Consuming animal products causes a whole host of diseases and is a major contributor to climate change. A recent UN report has warned that the earth only has 12 years left to combat climate change before it becomes irreversible. See The Guardian's "Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown" https://bit.ly/2yqcKaq
This trajectory would smash critical environmental limits beyond which humanity will struggle to live, the new research indicates. “It is pretty shocking,” said Marco Springmann at the University of Oxford, who led the research team. “We are really risking the sustainability of the whole system.” Professor Johan Rockström at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany, says: “Greening the food sector or eating up our planet: this is what is on the menu today.”
What you can do:
- You can stop these atrocities now by voting with your wallet and BOYCOTTING the animal agriculture industry. STOP supporting this cruelty. Help shut down the most violent places on the planet!
- If you live in Burlington, join us for our weekly vigils, Thursday mornings 8am - 10:00am at Fearmans slaughterhouse, Appleby Line or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information about vigils in your area or to start a chapter.
- Switch to a whole foods, plant-based diet and live cruelty free! Save the animals, the planet and your health. Go to www.veg.ca to take the veggie challenge and for more information.
Today: Toronto Pig Save is counting on you
Toronto Pig Save needs your help with “Michael Latifi: Safety Agreement Now At Fearmans Slaughterhouse”. Join Toronto Pig Save and 10,336 supporters today.