My name is "Jimmy." I am an undercover investigator for Mercy for Animals, but am not comfortable revealing my identity because this is a very hostile political climate for whistleblowers.
A breaking Mercy For Animals investigation using my undercover footage reveals the intentional torture of ducks for foie gras sold on Amazon.
French for “fatty liver,” foie gras is produced by shoving metal pipes down the throats of ducks and force-feeding them three times a day for nearly three weeks. This painful process causes the birds’ livers to swell up to ten times the normal size. These diseased, fatty livers are marketed as foie gras.
Wired with a hidden camera, I worked at Hudson Valley Foie Gras in New York and documented:
• Workers violently grabbing ducks by their wings and necks and then shoving a metal pipe down their throats to force-feed them
• Countless ducks hyperventilating as their unnaturally large livers pressed against their lungs making it difficult for them to breathe
• Dead ducks—killed by the cruel force-feeding process—callously thrown away into garbage bins
• Workers carelessly grabbing and tossing ducks by their fragile wings into transport cages
• Birds with open, bleeding wounds left to suffer in tiny wire cages without proper veterinary care
• Fully conscious ducks being shackled upside down and having their throats cut open, causing them to slowly bleed to death
Amazon has the power and the moral responsibility to help end one of the cruelest forms of factory farm animal abuse!
Please join MFA in calling on Amazon to take a stand against this egregious cruelty to animals by prohibiting the sale of foie gras on its website. In the past, Amazon has ended the sale of other products like dolphin and whale meat due to their cruel production practices.
It’s time for Amazon to implement an ethical and humane policy banning the sale of foie gras too.
Target, Costco, Safeway, Giant Eagle, and Wolfgang Puck already have these policies in place. And foie gras prodcuction is banned in California, as well as Germany, Israel, the UK, and many other countries because it's so inhumane.
Please sign to send a polite email to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, and then share my undercover investigation video with friends and encourage them to take action too.
Animal abuse is just a click away at Amazon.com!
Visit AmazonCruelty.com to learn more.
Update October 3, 2013. Amazon in the UK has banned the sale of foie gras. Let's keep the pressure on Amazon worldwide to do the same.
In the past, Amazon has barred the sale of whale meat, shark fin soup, and animal fighting videos. It’s time for Amazon to implement an ethical policy against the sale of foie gras too. No socially responsible company should be supporting this type of blatant cruelty to animals.