PLEASE RELEASE FUNDS OWED TO THE RSSDA FINAL YEAR MEDICAL STUDENTS IN DEBRECEN, HUNGARY.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
We, the twenty-three final year students of the University of Debrecen medical school, Hungary, under the sponsorship of the Rivers State Government (RSG), were awarded scholarships via the now defunct platform, Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency (RSSDA), to study Medicine in 2012 during the Governor Rotimi Amaechi-led administration.
We have no political affiliations. We are just young people trying to better our lives and become productive members of society.
This scholarship was awarded to us based on merit after series of rigorous examinations and personal interviews -- contrary to claims of our being children of the governor’s rich political enemies. A contract was signed by both parties, thereby binding the government to provide our tuition fee, living expenses and book allowances for the full extension of our studies 2012 – 2018.
In 2015, the Governor of Rivers State, Barr. Nyesom Wike, asked for students under the aforementioned scholarship to be sent back home to Nigeria due to insufficiency of funds to continue the sponsorship. We were offered to be placed in Nigerian universities but these promises were never actualised as plans were never made to book flights and obtain admission in these schools. Most of us cannot travel out of the country because our international passports and other documents are being held by our landlords and other creditors.
We have spent 38 months (3 years and 2 months) fending for ourselves. We have undergone untold hardships, been sent out of our apartments and have run into huge debt in our bid to survive. Our University has been gracious enough to allow us continue our studies despite our enormous debt, with the condition that our certificates will be withheld until our debts have been fully paid.
We currently owe our university more than 3 academic years’ worth of tuition. This is a lot of money. It is practically impossible for any of us to raise such sums on our own. It is pertinent that these monies be paid since we are in the final year of our medical studies and we cannot graduate without paying our debts.
Being in a foreign country, far away from home, and having no funds being sent to us for the past 3 years has come with a lot of challenges including: studying for difficult medical exams – which we are not even sure we would be allowed to take -- while hungry, depressed, starved for many days; some sleeping outside in the cold in winter; others with the fear of being evicted by landlords, just to mention a few.
All efforts to communicate with the government has been futile, hence our resorting to this medium and our need of your support.
Please we ask that you sign our petition and share it to help us get as many signatures that would draw the attention of our state government to our plight. Thank you.
Please find below our names and local government areas of origin:
1. Amachree Ibaniyi (Asari-Toru LGA)
2. Azundah Chizalam Kinikanwo (Ikwerre LGA)
3. Chiogbonda Wisdom Chimenem (Obio/Akpor LGA)
4. Choko Sarah Uchechi (Etche LGA)
5. Chris-Banigo Dagogo (Bonny LGA)
6. Collins Clifford (Port Harcourt LGA)
7. Dede Onisoyonivosekume (Ahoada West LGA)
8. Eziam Emmanuel Chukwuka (Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni LGA)
9. Finebone Adawari Godswill (Opobo/Nkoro LGA)
10. Gogo Selemi Ereleoyekipe (Abua-Odual LGA)
11. Inoma-Batubo Tamunomiete (Asari-Toru LGA)
12. Jacks Ibiye (Akuku-Toru LGA)
13. Jim-Halliday Stephanie Tamunotumini (Bonny LGA)
14. Keohane Lugard (Ahoada West LGA)
15. Nwidaa Igwe Mecha (Eleme LGA)
16. Odum Noble Chidinma (Etche LGA)
17. Ogbonda Chikerueze Davies (Obio/Akpor LGA)
18. Ogum Albert (Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni LGA)
19. Samuel Kalenebari Anthony (Khana LGA)
20. Tanen Kate Bari-iye (Gokana LGA)
21. Wakama Boma Keren (Ogu/Bolo LGA)
22. Woke Chika Godfrey (Emohua LGA)
23. Yiikoh Sukah Sunday (Khana LGA)
Today: YIIKOH is counting on you
YIIKOH SUKAH needs your help with “Governor Nyesom Wike: PLEASE RELEASE FUNDS OWED TO THE RSSDA FINAL YEAR MEDICAL STUDENTS IN DEBRECEN, HUNGARY.”. Join YIIKOH and 2,531 supporters today.