SAVE RACQUET CLUB OF IRVINE- A TREASURED COMMUNITY ASSET- FROM RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
DO NOT click the red TAKE THE NEXT STEP or Promote This Petition buttons on this petition which takes you to a place for donation--that money goes to support Change.org. Instead donate on our website.
To The Irvine City Council and Planning Commission:
1. WHAT IS RCI? The Racquet Club of Irvine (RCI) is a multi-sport facility that has been a part of the community for 45 years. It provides our community with access to 28 tennis courts including 6 clay courts, a multitude of youth tennis programs and summer camps, as well as an olympic size salt water lap pool, a yoga center, a martial arts program, an athletic gym, a sports training and recovery program, and a restaurant.
2. WILL RCI BECOME RESIDENTIAL HOUSING? KB Homes has now submitted an application to the City of Irvine for a General Plan Amendment in order to build 123 condos at the location of the Racquet Club of Irvine (RCI). Currently RCI is zoned for a commercial/recreational use, as designated in the General Master Plan. The next step is for the City Council to hold a scoping session to decide whether this application by KB Homes should proceed. This session will be calendared in the upcoming month of August. Please click on the following link to get information how how to help stop the process from going any further! www.saverci.com
3. IS MORE HOUSING HERE IN THE COMMUNITY FAVORABLE? Our outlook for our community should be to preserve and maintain the unique high standard of living we currently enjoy. Irvine is a world famous community that has safe well planned neighborhoods with green belts, low noise, and top notch schools. In addition, it's beneficial to our community to have golf courses, amusement parks, picnic areas, large community parks, and yes, a multi-sport recreational facility like the Racquet Club of Irvine.
4. WILL TRAFFIC CONDITIONS WORSEN? The streets surrounding RCI are already clogged with traffic. RCI is bounded by Culver, Michelson, Harvard, and University- some of the most heavily used streets in Irvine which sees bumper to bumper traffic throughout the day. If a zoning change is allowed and RCI is developed into a residential complex, the horrible traffic congestion will be further escalated. This means increased commute times, increased time spent in our cars, increased costs, increased daily stress, and a deterioration in quality of living for our surrounding neighborhoods.
5. WHAT ABOUT OUR SCHOOLS? A residential project, if passed, will increase the number of students attending our schools. Irvine is famous for the quality of our schools. Families move to Irvine because of its exceptional educational opportunities the schools here provide to our children. Recently, large developments have sprung up adjacent to the airport near Main and Jamboree. The students in that area don't have adequate schools close by and are now attending the schools in the region of RCI. The influx of these new students have pushed the local schools to run at full capacity. A zoning change for a residential development equals even more students which will overwhelm the resources of our local schools. Irvine families and our kids lose.
ALLOWING A ZONING CHANGE AT THE SITE OF RCI WILL CHANGE IRVINE. MORE URBAN DENSITY, MORE TRAFFIC, LOWER STANDARDS OF EDUCATION, AND LOSS OF A TREASURED COMMUNITY TENNIS/MULTI-SPORT ASSET.
PLEASE PREVENT ANY DEVELOPMENT ON RCI AND ALLOW IT TO REMAIN A PERMANENT, OPEN SPACE, RECREATIONAL AMENITY TO SERVE ALL IRVINE CITIZENS- NOW AND THE FUTURE. NO ZONING CHANGE.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!