Remove your property from the City of Charleston

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!

Please only sign this if you live in the City of Charleston or pass this along to City of Charleston residents who would like to leave the City. 

Are you tired of taxation without representation?

Do you feel like the City of Charleston really has your best interest at heart?

Wouldn’t you like to restructure the government where the people have a more active voice?

People have been saying it for years: “I wish I could leave the City of Charleston.” Well, here’s your chance. If we can get a large number of homeowners to sign up saying that would be willing to leave we could cut ourselves out of the City of Charleston. We would be free to join another municipality, a public service district, or form our own government. 

At the very least, if we can get people to sign up and commit, even if we do not follow through, maybe the City will see how serious we are and start representing our best interest. 

7 Councilmembers and the Mayor just voted to raise your taxes during a Pandemic. They obviously do not have our best interests at heart. 


2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 5 - Municipal Corporations
SECTION 5-3-280. Reduction of corporate limits.

Universal Citation: SC Code § 5-3-280 (2013)
Whenever a petition is presented to a city or town council signed by a majority of the resident freeholders of the municipality asking for a reduction of the corporate limits of the city or town, the council shall order an election after not less than ten days' public advertisement. This advertisement shall describe the territory that is proposed to be cut off. If a majority of the qualified electors vote at the election in favor of the release of the territory, the council must issue an ordinance declaring the territory no longer a portion of the municipality and must notify the Secretary of State of the new boundaries of the municipality.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 47-23; 1952 Code Section 47-23; 1942 Code Section 7232; 1932 Code Section 7232; Civ. C. '22 Section 4387; Civ. C. '12 Section 2993; Civ. C. '02 Section 1998; 1896 (22) 82; 1897 (22) 459; 1901 (23) 658; 2000 Act No. 250, Section 3.