
Tanya MartinAustralia
2 Jun 2016
Well, after some international bad publicity generated by our story and a phone call from Jenny Aitchison, our local member, the Ombudsman has assigned us a case manager. She has advised that she contacted AAMI recommending that they reconsider their decision.
The next day I received a call from Suncorp (who own AAMI) offering to cover the cost of accommodation and furniture rental until the Ombudsman makes a decision in late July, without admitting liability of course. I have applied for a house up the road from where we now live and we are still waiting on a reply from the agent.
So everything was great, knowing that we would soon be in a house made sleeping in the freezing cold a little more bearable, then along comes another East cost low. Holy shit. Latest info says it could be the same as the storm that caused the damage to start with. The tents don't look so good now.
I contacted Suncorp late yesterday to see if they could pay for accommodation until we get into a house because of the coming storm. They called me early this morning to advise that they are going to pay for 2 weeks in a serviced apartment starting tonight.
The people at Suncorp have been great and they have not made an issue of the costs of rent, furniture etc.
I just wish this could have happened 12 months ago. It seems that, rather than relying on due process, I should have gone straight to the press.
Whatever, we are moving out today!!!!!!!
Thank you for your support. I will keep you updated on what happens next
Copy link
WhatsApp
Facebook
Nextdoor
Email
X