Vote NO to Atlanta Road Re-zoning Case #Z17-012
This petition made change with 1,174 supporters!
Pulte Homes and John Weiland Homes have requested rezoning of 3 properties between Charter Bank and the Reed House on Atlanta Road from R-15 (Residential and Light Commercial) to TD (townhome-condo), replacing 3 homes with 43, 50 foot tall condos on less than 5.5 acres. The density will be nearly 8 units per acre and located 20 to 25 feet from Atlanta Road, the homes along Wills Street, and the historic Reed House, which is currently undergoing restoration.
This rezoning will forever impact Smyrna. We need to come together as a community and send a message to the City that this is a very bad idea. This rezoning would:
- Drastically increase traffic at the highly-congested Atlanta Road/Concord Road intersection and on Atlanta Road.
- Feed into schools that are over or nearly at capacity in an area where School Choice is highly valued.
- Significantly reduce the urban forest canopy in Smyrna, as the lots will be clear-cut, losing many old growth trees that are 50-100+ years old.
- Further tax the city storm water drainage system and increase radiant heat in the city with the additional asphalt parking lot acreage.
- Sharply conflict with the City of Smyrna's Comprehensive Plan and the community's vision for future residential development.
Let's make our voices heard! This is our chance to make an impact.
- Sign the petition - Please sign this petition and add your name to the 11+ neighborhoods in Smyrna that have already come together to send a message to the Mayor and City Council.
- Attend the Town Hall meeting - Ward 6 Councilman, Doug Stoner, has scheduled a town hall meeting on Wednesday, August 2nd at 7pm in Brawner Hall to provide the community a chance to give feedback on the consequences of this rezoning request.
- Contact your elected council member - Find your ward here and call/email your council member to send the message to our elected officials that we are paying attention to their vote.
- Attend the council meeting on the day of the vote. The City Council has delayed hearing the rezoning case until the council meeting on Monday, September 18th at 7pm at City Hall.
We, the citizens of Smyrna, urge the Mayor and City Council Members to vote NO on this rezoning.
EDIT: The dates for Planning and Zoning meeting and the City Council meeting have been changed, again. The Planning and Zoning meeting is now scheduled for Monday, October 9 and the City Council meeting is now scheduled for Monday, November 20.
Today: Danny is counting on you
Danny Figueroa needs your help with “Vote NO to Atlanta Road Re-zoning Case #Z17-012”. Join Danny and 1,173 supporters today.