Stop the candidacy of Mr. Pham S. Chau as UNESCO General Director
This petition had 2,593 supporters
1. The lack of credibility of the candidate in carrying out his mission as described in his essay called “Vision” which is attached in his application, if he were to become Director-General at UNESCO;
2. UNESCO’s image in case he was to be nominated.
1. In his Vision, and if he was appointed, Mr. PHAM Sanh Châu aims to act in particular:
- For peace, culture of dialogue, tolerance, lower rates of suffering and guarantee of dignity for all (page 1);
- For the promotion of “freedom of expression, access to information… which must be among the priorities of the Information Sector, as they are fundamental human rights and our responsibility relating to the past” (page 4).
Yet, Mr. PHAM Sanh Châu has been a member since 1983 of the government of a country which shows complete disregard for peace, human dignity and freedom of expression through its laws (laws 79, 87, 88 and 258 of the Vietnamese Penal Code). Furthermore, Article 4 of the recently amended Vietnamese Constitution, which came into effect on 1/1/2014, stipulates that the Vietnamese Communist Party is the only legal political party and thus reaffirms the total absence of democracy in Viet Nam. According to Reporters Without Borders, Viet Nam is the 175th country out 180 in the 2016 World Press Freedom Index.
Today: Thai is counting on you
Thai Nguyen-Khoa needs your help with “UNESCO: Stop the candidacy of Mr. Pham S. Chau as UNESCO General Director”. Join Thai and 2,592 supporters today.