#IAmBalfour – Declaring 100 Years of Britain’s Support for Israel
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
The Balfour Declaration, published on 2 November 1917, was a letter addressed by Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour that proclaimed Britain would support the establishment of “a national home for the Jewish people”. This declaration paved the way for Israel to be reborn as a nation.
In September 2016, the Palestinian Leader Mahmoud Abbas told the UN General Assembly that Britain should apologise for the Balfour Declaration. To attack Israel’s very existence is at its root anti-Semitic. And in October 2016, anti-Israel activists launched a campaign to pressure the UK Government to apologise.
#IAmBalfour is a year-long campaign, starting on the 99th Anniversary of the Balfour Declaration, which provides supporters of Israel around the world with an opportunity to declare solidarity with Britain’s 100 year support of Israel, seeks to raise awareness and urges the UK Government to uphold its commitment to Israel and the Jewish people – without apology.
The #IAmBalfour Declaration
One-hundred years after the Balfour Declaration I declare:
- The Jewish people have a right to live in their ancient homeland and the modern State of Israel is the fulfilment of this historic right.
- There is no excuse for acts of terrorism against Israel and it has the same right as every other nation to defend her citizens.
- I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel and commit to speak out on their behalf whenever and wherever necessary until the Jewish people are finally living in peace and security.
- I declare my support for Britain’s signing of the Balfour Declaration 100 years ago and affirm the role Britain played in the rebirth of the modern state of Israel.
- I call upon the UK Government to stand with Israel and the Jewish people and to honour the Balfour Declaration without apology.
If I was Arthur Balfour, I would have done the same. #IAmBalfour
This petition will be presented to the UK Government and to the Israeli Embassy in London during 2017 to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Balfour Declaration.
For more information about this campaign, go to www.cufi.org.uk/iambalfour
Today: CUFI UK is counting on you
CUFI UK needs your help with “UK Parliament: #IAmBalfour – Declaring 100 Years of Britain’s Support for Israel”. Join CUFI UK and 2,593 supporters today.