Here’s how you can help to ensure the people get a Final Say
Aug 3, 2018 —
On Tuesday 24 July, we started our Final Say campaign calling for the people to have the last word on the Brexit deal. The next day, we launched a petition (change.org/finalsay). Just over a week later, 500,000 people had signed the petition, making it the biggest campaign in the history of The Independent, and proving just how much people care.
Now we need to look towards our next goal. After parliament returns from recess on 4 September, we want to take the petition to Downing Street. How many signatures we have at that moment will inevitably have a huge influence on whether we get a Final Say, and we need your help to make sure our voice is truly heard.
Here’s what you can do:
- Sign the petition at change.org/finalsay – if you haven’t already! And let other people know about it.
- Keep the campaign rolling on social media. Take a picture of yourself holding a sign saying ‘I want a Final Say’, then post it on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #FinalSay, telling us why you want a final say. It doesn’t matter where in the world you are, you can help the campaign gather momentum.
- Download the Final Say poster. Visit www.independent.co.uk/finalsayposter, download the file and print out the poster on A4, A3 or even A2 paper. We took them to a music festival and they went down a storm!
- Book an appointment with your MP. Because MPs are not in Westminster until 4 September, you should be able to meet yours. Tell them how you feel, what issues matter to you and why you feel this must be a decision for everyone, not just politicians. After all, they work for you. Download the suggested email by clicking here.
- Send us your ideas. Any other suggestions? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly