Lambeth has some of the highest levels of air pollution in the UK. Poor air quality affects us all, but disproportionately it's the elderly, children and individuals with existing heart and respiratory conditions who suffer the most. Progress will only be made if proper infrastructure and resources are made available.
We are calling on central government to:
- Introduce a national diesel scrappage scheme. Over 70,000 of the most polluting diesel vans and minibuses could be removed from London’s roads and reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 40 per cent.
- Change the legislation on idling – we’d like to see the fine increased and the legal time for engine idling reduced.
- Reverse the cuts to Defra air quality funding and ring-fence a section for London to reflect the severity of the problem here.
- Protect our residents from the impact of Brexit by maintaining the current EU air quality standards. New processes will be required to ensure international collaboration to reduce environmental hazards such as air pollution.
- Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Leader of the Conservative Party
Theresa May MP
Cllr Jennifer Brathwaite started this petition with a single signature, and now has 51 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.