Rouge National Urban Park Management Plan
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
We the undersigned citizens of Canada draw the attention of the Government of Canada to the following:
• We thank the Government for creating a 79 km² Rouge National Urban Park with legislation which prioritizes ecological integrity;
• To achieve ecological integrity and healthy streams and lakes, Environment Canada recommends that a Great Lakes watershed protect or restore more than 60% forest and wetland cover (How Much Habitat is Enough, 2013);
• The Rouge Watershed has less than 15% forest and wetland cover - far below Environment Canada's scientific recommendations;
• Necessary restoration of forests and wetlands is approved within pre-existing Rouge Park and Watershed Plans and it is draft approved in the 2003 Federal Green Space Draft Master Plan;
• Restoration of forest and wetland habitat on public lands in this new national park would save taxpayers $Billions by mitigating climate change, flooding and erosion damages, and improving ecosystem, watershed, Great Lakes and human health.
To prioritize ecological integrity, mitigate climate change impacts, and improve ecosystem, watershed, Great Lakes and human health, your petitioners respectfully ask the Government of Canada to create a Rouge National Urban Park Management Plan which:
1. Implements Environment Canada’s scientific recommendations for restoring more than 60% forest and wetland cover;
2. Reforests the heart of this national park - the Greenbelt "main ecological corridor" between Lake Ontario and the Oak Ridges Moraine;
3. Includes more public lands to create a 100+ km² Rouge National Park.
Today: Friends of the Rouge Watershed is counting on you
Friends of the Rouge Watershed needs your help with “The Government of Canada: Rouge National Urban Park Management Plan”. Join Friends of the Rouge Watershed and 124 supporters today.