Divest from unethical companies and institutions
This petition had 23 supporters
Summary: The Dalhousie Student Union invests in companies that profit from human rights abuses. We want them to divest from these companies, and prevent similar investments from taking place in the future.
On March of 2015, Students Against Israeli Apartheid and their allies successfully pressured the Dalhousie Student Union to review its investments for any links to human rights abuses. The Dalhousie Student Union created the Investment Review Committee as a result.
The committee released its review in November of 2015, showing that the Dalhousie Student Union was, as far as it knows and as of October 2015, invested 9 unethical and socially harmful companies, including:
- Adidas: Operates factories in South East Asia that exploit laborers and workers and places them in unsafe conditions.
- Allianz: Provides insurance to the Belo Monte Dam project in Brazil, which has been criticized by the UN and Amnesty International on the basis of its adverse effect on local indigenous communities.
- Caterpillar: Knowingly provides heavy machinery equipment that is used to illegally demolish Palestinian homes, build Israeli settlements, and suppress peaceful protests.
- General Mills: Knowingly operates a factory in illegal Israeli settlements
- Teva Pharma: Exploits illegal Israeli restrictions on the freedom of movement of Palestinians and Palestinian products to raise pharmaceutical prices in Palestinian markets.
- Toyota: Knowingly provides products that are used in the operation and maintenance of illegal Israeli settlements and checkpoints, and in the demolishing of Palestinian homes.
- UBS: Provides a total of billions of dollars to companies that maintain and repair nuclear weapons.
- United Technologies: Contributes to the production of military aircrafts that may be used by certain government to perpetuate repressive behavior.
Involvement in such institutions is unacceptable, and we, members of the Dalhousie Student Union, must address our union's complicity.
We believe that the Dalhousie Student Union has the potential to be a leader in social responsibility by addressing this appropriately.
As such, we urge the Dalhousie Student Union to:
- Divest from the unethical institutions that are already invested in
- Prevent socially irresponsible investments from being made in the future, be creating and enforcing appropriate policies
- Endorse student-led campaigns that fight to end our complicity in human rights abuses, like the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaign
It's time we #EndTheComplicity.
Today: Students for Justice in Palestine at Dalhousie University is counting on you
Students for Justice in Palestine at Dalhousie University needs your help with “The Dalhousie Student Union's leadership: To the DSU: Divest from unethical companies and institutions”. Join Students for Justice in Palestine at Dalhousie University and 22 supporters today.