Please ensure that all public information produced by Government and its agencies is written in plain English.
This petition had 5,094 supporters
Both citizens and governments benefit from clear information, written in plain English. Citizens are more likely to understand their rights and governments are more likely to make better use of their resources.
That’s why we recommend that all public information produced by Government and its agencies is written in plain English.
After all, plain English encourages individuals to engage with public services and make informed decisions when doing so. It can also save the public sector time, money and possible frustration by having to make repeated requests for information.
What is plain English?
Plain English is a style of presenting information that helps you understand it the first time you read it. It involves short clear sentences and using everyday words. It does not involve small print or unnecessary jargon.
That’s because it is.
What is this petition about?
This petition calls for public information such as letters, forms and documents to be written in plain English. This means:
- using everyday words where possible, and where specialised words must be used they are clearly explained;
- keeping sentences to about 15 to 20 words; and
- using a readable font type and size (such as arial or calibri point size 12).
What do you want me to do?
Please sign our petition asking the Taoiseach to ensure that all public information produced by Government and its agencies is written in plain English.
Why should I sign this petition?
1. It's only fair. Plain English gives us information in a language we can understand and helps us to make informed choices. It is particularly important to provide information in plain English for people with literacy difficulties.
2. Plain English makes good business sense. Clearer information is shown to improve public sector performance, reduce mistakes and lead to fewer complaints and repeated questions.
There’s nothing to lose and a lot to gain!
Who is organising this petition?
This petition is being organised by The National Adult Literacy Agency or NALA for short. We believe that everyone has a right to clear and accessible information.
We plan to use the signatures from this petition to ask the Taoiseach to ensure that all public information produced by Government and its agencies is written in plain English.
So, if you agree with us please sign our petition. With your support, we know we can achieve this.
The National Adult Literacy Agency
Visit www.nala.ie for more information about our campaign.
Today: National Adult Literacy Agency is counting on you
National Adult Literacy Agency needs your help with “Taoiseach Enda Kenny, TD: Please ensure all public information is written in plain English.”. Join National Adult Literacy Agency and 5,093 supporters today.