Gladman have re-submitted a planning application (18/01031/OUT) to build 155 dwellings and 55 apartments with care, alongside the A34 Cannock Road just south of Stafford.
This proposed development, already once rejected, presents a number of problems for nearby local communities, not least:
- The land is designated open countryside
- The proposed site is not designated in the South Staffordshire Council Core Strategy Plan which allocates Land for development purposes
- Increased risk of traffic incidents along the A34 as access would be situated close to 3 other access roads
- Nearest access to M6 J13 is a single track road that already poses safety concerns
- Increased traffic congestion on the A34 and decreasing air quality. Of particular concern as the adjacent footways are often used by children walking to and from school
- Other already approved nearby developments are already set to add to the pressure on local services already at and over capacity - primary health care, education etc.
- Some of the proposed housing is 'with care' - yet this development is a considerable distance from many local amenities and poorly served by public transport
There are other sites far more appropriate and far more suitable. South Staffordshire District Council should reject this planning application.