Dr. H. T. Sangliana is the most deserving candidate for the office of the President of India. We request political parties in India and the Christian community to support the candidature of Dr Sangliana. This highly decorated top cop who is known for his non-partisan and honest approach will inspire the nation at this hour when corruption has cast a dark shadow over the country.
At a glance:
· Dr. H. T. Sangliana is the Vice Chairman of the National Commission for Minorities of India.
· Dr. Sangliana was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represented the Bangalore North constituency of Karnataka from the BJP. Dr. Sangliana is a person who thinks above partisan politics. As a BJP MP, he voted in favour of the UPA government in the confidence motion in Lok Sabha on July 3, 2008.
· Dr Sangliana was the Congress Party Candidate in the Bangalore Central Constituency for 15th Lok Sabha.
· Dr. Sangliana was a decorated police officer (IPS) who served as the Commissioner of Police, Bangalore City, and as Inspector General of Police, Karnataka State.
· Dr. Sangliana was so distinguished as a police officer that three movies were made based on his life and career. A Kannada movie where he was portrayed as a super-cop went on to become a super-hit.
· Dr. Sangliana is known for his honesty and discipline. There has never been any allegation of wrongdoing against him. It is known that he once booked a case against his wife when she borrowed his official car for buying vegetables! When the chief minister's car committed a traffic violation, he lost no time in seizing it.
· Dr. Sangliana is member of the Christian community and of a Mizo tribe. No person from this community (or from any tribe) has ever become President of India despite the immense contributions made by this community towards nation-building.
· Dr. Sangliana has an international reputation and can bring glory to India as the President. He was one among the 160 international delegates to join US president-elect Barack Obama at his breakfast table on February 5, 2008.
Dr Sangliana served as:
- Member, Standing Committee on Home Affairs
- Member, Standing Committee on Defence
- Member, Joint Committee on Parliament House Security
- Member, Informal Consultative Committee, South Western Railways
- Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Shipping, Roads and National Highways
- Member, North East Hill University Court
Distinguished Service to the Nation:
- Joined Indian Police Service in 1967;
- Retired as Director General of Police on 1st July, 2003;
- Served as Deputy Commissioner of Police, Special Commissioner of Police and subsequently as Commissioner of Police in Bangalore city;
- Served as Superintendent of Police in as many as 6 Districts in Karnataka state - a record for an IPS officer;
- Chosen by the Government to handle the world famed Chikmagalur Parliamentary by-election in November 1978 in which as many as 28 candidates contested including the Late Smt. Indira Gandhi;
- Headed the Special Task Force to catch brigand by name Veerappan who had killed 130 people including police and forest officials, contributed important steps for Veerappan's ultimate end;
- Handled all branches in police department including Law & Order, Crime, Traffic, Intelligence, Armed Police, Railway Police, Forest, Prisons, Technical Services including Computers, Wireless, Dog Squads, Guerilla Warfare, Explosive, Bomb disposal, VIP and VVIP security, Anti-Guerilla;
- Worked as Special Police Commissioner in Bangalore City in 1993, solved a highly sensational and one of the most bizarre cases in India called "Khalilee Missing Case" in which Mrs. Khalilee, wife of the then Indian High Commissioner in Australia was buried alive by her paramour which had remained undetected for more than 3 years;
- Served as Police Commissioner in Bangalore city, arrested the Fake Stamp Paper King Pin by name Abdul Kareem Telgi.
More Work Experience: Dr Sangliana served as:
- Under the Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India posted as Commandant of the 27th SSB Battalion, an elite force, in Tezpur, Assam (1971-72) and took part in the Bangladesh War during that period;
- The Divisional Organizer, SSB, in charge of the two problematic Northeastern states namely Manipur and Nagaland (1987-93) and promoted integration of the border people with people of the mainland which has earned him a special mention by the Government of India through the SSB Directorate;
- The Chief Security and Vigilance Consultant between July 2003 and May 2004 for Export Overseas Company.
1. As one of the "50 Indians who made a difference" by the OUTLOOK monthly magazine in its first anniversary special publication;
2. One of the "50 Indians whom you ought to know" by the monthly magazine 'Gentleman';
3. As " Most Popular Public Servant" in 2001-02 by 'The Times of India'
4. Ambassador of Global Peace Initiative with Headquarters at Washington DC, USA
1. Two Honorary Doctorate Degrees and several famous Awards;
2. Rotary International Honorary Membership;
3. A lifetime Meritorious Service Award by the Partnership Mission Society based in USA on March 6, 2005;
4. A yearly award of Rs. 10,000 has been instituted in his name by the same Society to be given the best student of the year at Sielmat Christian High School, Churachandpur, Manipur, India;
5 The two highest Indian Police Service Medals namely - the Meritorious Service Medal & the Distinguished Service Medal;
6. Many Citations and Certificates from Philanthropic Organizations and Associations;
7 Countless number of appreciation letters from government and members of the public.
8. He was invited to address the District Collectors, Deputy Commissioners by the Chief Minister of Nagaland and awarded “Excellent” impression by participants.
9. He is called “A giant killer” defeating Invincible Congress leader Shri Jaffer Sharief from Bangalore North Constituency during 2004 Parliamentary elections.
- A Guide to Mizo/English
- Politics and People
- Dos and Don'ts for Security
Literary Artistic & Scientific Accomplishments: Has written more than 80 songs and hymns; a regular contributor to magazines and newspapers as well as an Interviewee in TV & Radio and panel member in various social issues
Social And Cultural Activities: Adviser to various NGOs and Civil Societies
Special Interests: Handling social and spiritual issues and Youths Affairs
Favourite Pastime and Recreation: Listening to music, reading non-fictions and watching TV programmes on National Geographic, Animal Planet, Sports and such like channels on T.V.
Countries Visited: Widely travelled
1. Three full-length feature films have been made on him by professional film makers entitled Sangliana- Part I, II and III depicting his unusually sincere and devoted service as police officer and has himself acted in one of them called "Santha"
2. Awarded "Super Cop" title by the media as well as by the public
3. Considered as "man of the masses", "friend of the children" and "sympathizer of the poor" by the media
4. Three widely read series of books have been written about him by Dr. Lalrinawmi Ralte
5. One of the few Indian Police Officers, from the past and present, whose names had figured in a book containing stories of "World Famous Police Officers
6. Three Societies have been established in Bangalore City in Sangliana's name
7. 3 non-Mizo persons have so far adopted the name Sangliana as their own through legal processes in the State of Karnataka taking him as their “Role Model”
Signatories to this petition