Orkney Needs An Abattoir
This petition made change with 1,334 supporters!
At the Dounby & County shows overwhelming support was shown for the provision of a local abattoir in Orkney.
We ask that small local abattoirs are recognised as essential public infrastructure for island communities.
The reasons Orkney NEEDS an abattoir include:
- For the PDO premium label for Orkney Beef & Orkney Lamb, livestock must be locally slaughtered.
- Fallen livestock, pigs & goats cannot be slaughtered for meat without a local abattoir.
- North Ronaldsay sheep and other rare & native breeds are totally reliant on a local abattoir.
- Non-Shetland livestock now can’t use Shetland Abattoir - Shetland Animal Health Scheme.
- Island producers can’t develop high value specialist meat products from their livestock without a local abattoir.
We hope you will sign and share this petition and we really value any comments you may wish to make. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the section where you can write your comments.
Further information about the situation in Orkney can be found at orkneyabattoir.blogspot.com
If you have already signed one of the paper versions of the petition, please don't sign again. If you wish to make any further comments you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you.
Today: Jane is counting on you
Jane Cooper needs your help with “Scottish Government and Local Council: Orkney Needs An Abattoir”. Join Jane and 1,333 supporters today.