Reduce Speed Limit at Debbycot Mountmellick to 60 kph.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
To whom it concerns,
For your information this is a break down of the speed limits in place between Mountmellick and The Commons area, Co. Laois, an approx. 3 km stretch of road on the R422.
Please note how confusing they are due to their lack of consistency coming from either direction and the short distances between varying speeds. These speed limits are nothing short of chaotic and a danger to all using this road.
From Mountmellick to The Commons;
a) 50 kph through Mountmellick
b) 80 kph for c. 0.5 km
c) 60 kph for c. 0.4 km
d) 30 kph for c. 0.3 km
e) 80 kph through The Commons
From The Commons to Mountmellick;
a) 80 kph for c. 0.5 km
b) 60 kph for c. 50 metres
c) 30 kph for c. 0.3 km
d) 60 kph for c. 0.4 km
e) 80 kph for c. 0.5 km
f) 50 kph through Mountmellick
We the residents of Debbycot, The Rock, The Commons and Mountmellick request that the speed limits along this road be re-evaluated, particularly the 80 kph limit along the Debbycot road. We request this be reduced to (at least) the previous 60kph limit for the following reasons;
1.We have serious concerns
-for the safety of the residents along this stretch of road
-for the safety of road users, ie. pedestrians, cyclists & drivers.
2. There are a number of children living, walking and cycling along this road on a regular basis as it is a pedestrianized area with footpaths on both sides of the road and street lighting.
3. Vehicles coming from Mountmellick leave a 50 kph limit and immediately enter an 80 kph area encouraging them to quickly increase their speed along a short straight road.
4. The increase in speed on this road makes it extremely dangerous for residents exiting their properties as vehicles are overtaking at speed.
5.This in turn encourages drivers to continue with this speed through the following very short 60 kph zone outside the G.A.A. grounds also used by The Rock school children.
6. These vehicles then enter The Rock school 30 kph limit at a dangerous speed.
7. The current increase to 80 kph limit on this road has already caused a number of accidents and we are extremely concerned this will eventually lead to fatalities.
In addition, we request that all speed limits on this whole stretch of road between Mountmellick town limits and The Commons area be re-assessed and re-set in full consulation with a Residents Action Committee to reflect a safe speed within clear and consistent limits for all persons using this road.
We request that our petition be addressed with an immediate response in order to avoid any more accidents and potential fatalities in this road.
Today: Residents of Debbycot, The Rock and The Commons, Mountmellick, Co. Laois is counting on you
Residents of Debbycot, The Rock and The Commons, Mountmellick, Co. Laois needs your help with “Roads Dept. Laois Co. Council. : Reduce Speed Limit at Debbycot Mountmellick to 60 kph”. Join Residents of Debbycot, The Rock and The Commons, Mountmellick, Co. Laois and 312 supporters today.