STOP IMMEDIATELY CHANGING ANIMAL-SHELTERS INTO SLAUGHTERHOUSES FOR PETS
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
How many dogs and cats are euthanized each year? https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/many-dogs-cats-euthanized-year-ddfe4c13798549a1
“Around 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year in the United States, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). This figure represents 1.4 million cats and 1.2 million dogs.” according to the ASPCA.”
“… Unfortunately, the most recent statistics published by the National Council are from 1997, and only 1,000 shelters replied to the survey at that time. Using the National Council’s numbers from 1997 and estimating the number of operating shelters in the United States to be 3,500 (the exact number of animal shelters operating in the United States does not exist), these estimates were made:
Of the 1,000 shelters that replied to the National Council’s survey, 4.3 million animals were handled.
• In 1997, roughly 64 percent of the total number of animals that entered shelters were euthanized — approximately 2.7 million animals in just these 1,000 shelters. These animals may have been euthanized due to overcrowding, but may also have been sick, aggressive, injured or suffering from something else.
It is estimated that approximately 3.7 million animals were euthanized in the nation’s shelters in 2008. This number represents a generally accepted statistic that is widely used by many animal welfare organizations, including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)….”
(AVMA guidelines indicating which methods are considered inhumane)
What happens to animals in the pound?:
How pets are killed (euthanized) in pounds and shelters is controlled by Federal law, apparently is seldom monitored by Federal agencies due to lack of funding, ultimately determined by the individual pound or shelter. Some pounds and humane shelters have been forced to change their methods due to public outcry.
1) Lethal injection: Lethal injection is the most-preferred method to euthanize dogs and cats, since it causes the least stress for the animals and a somewhat minimal amount of stress for the humans involved.
2) Decompression chamber. A decompression chamber is a spinning mechanical unit which houses small cages into which animals are enclosed; the spinning of the unit prevents the animals from breathing, causing them to lose consciousness and eventually die.
3) Gas Chamber. Various kinds of gas chambers are used; a typical professional type includes individual small cages for numbers of animals which are all gassed at the same time, although AVMA guidelines for certain gases require euthanasia individually.
4) Electrocution. This method for small animals such as dogs and cats sometimes involves a metal clip on the animal's lip and a metal rectal electrocution probe.
URL AVMA guidelines which the NIH uses for reference: http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/euthanasia.pdf
URL for the Office of Animal Welfare (OLAW):
CONCLUSION: IT IS EVIDENT, THAT GOVERNMENT HAS TO WORK OUT LAWS WHICH FORBID BREEDING IN BREEDINGFARM AND BACK-YARDS - GERMANY HAS A LAW THAT EACH PERSON WHO WANT TO HOLD A "KAMPFHUND" - A "DANGEROUS" DOG HAS TO UNDERGO AN EXAMINATION - HE/SHE & THAT DOG! EUTHANIZING OF PETS IS FORBIDDEN! USA HAS TO STOP THIS HANDLING OF UNWANTED DOGS AND CATS TO BRING THEM LIKE GARBAGE INTO HIGH-KILL-SHELTERS:
NEVER FORGET: BEHIND EACH PET, SUFFERING, BEING "BROUGHT TO DEATH" STAND THOUSANDS OF HUMANS, SUFFERING, REALLY DEEPLY SUFFERING:
ANIMALCARE MEANS HUMANSCARE, too
Thank you to all here quoted sources!
Mag. Dr. Annamaria Grabowski
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!