Change policies at the Portales (NM) Animal Shelter
This petition had 275 supporters
In order to save more lives at the shelter and to be more humane to the animals served by the shelter, the following needs to be changed.
1) A receptionist should be hired or a position posted as volunteer so that the shelter remains open during its posted hours. Right now the door is often locked during business hours, discouraging residents to visit and making it difficult for volunteers to help the staff and take photos.
2) A sign indicating hours should be posted on the door so that potential adopters will know when to come view and adopt animals.
3) All animals should be given food and water during the entire stay at the shelter, including the cats considered feral. Recent trips to the shelter have not shown this to be the case.
4) The shelter should have a phone and answering machine installed. This would help people who have lost pets reclaim them and also aid in getting pets adopted.
5) The cat cage should never be locked. Although cats were described as feral, there was at least one kitten which was adoptable when the Humane Society volunteer photographer visited the week of June 28, 2015. That kitten did not have access to water and food.
6) Some system of records, preferably electronic, should be kept so that volunteers can more easily identify animals, know gender, and know the reason for the animal being in the shelter. This would aid in advertising the animal on the Facebook page for the area Humane Society. It is important for the city to maintain its euthanasia records so that this information could be provided to the public. This would encourage adoptions, and, perhaps, help the community locate free, low-cost spay/neuter programs and encourage rescue operations to assist in the transfer of animals.
Today: Rebecca is counting on you
Rebecca Poe needs your help with “Portales, NM Animal Shelter: Change policies at the Portales (NM) Animal Shelter”. Join Rebecca and 274 supporters today.