Stand up for East Sussex
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000.
The people of East Sussex are not getting a fair deal.
Years of funding cuts mean many people in our county are at risk of real hardship. The resources East Sussex needs to care for the vulnerable, to help children reach their potential, to grow the economy and to build good transport links are dwindling away. The county has made savings of £112 million since the start of the decade. That money would have been enough to pay for the annual care of 5,600 vulnerable people or to fix 2 million potholes.
This petition calls on the Prime Minister to recognise the particular needs of the people of East Sussex. Our county has lower wages than the national average, more elderly people, fewer large businesses and higher educational need.
A fairer funding deal for East Sussex, and the power to take more decisions ourselves, will make a real difference to peoples’ lives and futures. Read our petition letter below to find out exactly how the Government could help.
This is a non-party political petition and any political comments made by people on signing represent their personal views.
If you live or work in the county, Stand Up for East Sussex by signing the petition now.
- Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Leader of the Conservative Party
Theresa May MP
Stand up for East Sussex:
We are asking for a fair deal for East Sussex.
It’s a great place but it has very particular needs. Wages are lower than average, transport infrastructure is lacking, the high elderly population contributes to a growing demand for social care and there are very few large businesses.
Government funding for East Sussex doesn’t take these needs into account and it doesn’t allow the longer-term planning of public services that people rely on. £112 million has already been saved from public services in East Sussex this decade, with a further £57 million of savings expected, on current forecasts.
Unless the Government offers the county a fair deal, the pressures on the people of East Sussex will increase significantly, with harmful effects.
This is a non-party political campaign which asks that the Prime Minister listens to the voices of people in East Sussex and acts to give them a fair deal with better funding and more powers to shape their future.
The petition asks the Government to:
• Provide sufficient funding for all local government services
• Provide a further funding settlement for Adult Social Care services past 2019/20 to ensure stability in the short term
• Grant permission for an Accountable Care Organisation in East Sussex to deliver full health and social care integration and the highest quality care for residents
• Empower and adequately fund Transport for the South East, a sub-national transport body, to invest in regional transport infrastructure
• Include improvements to the A27 and A21 in the new Road Investment Strategy and invest in High Speed Rail to Hastings
• Devolve 16-19 skills funding and the Adult Education Budget to ESCC so it can work with partners to match the skills local businesses need with the skills education provided locally
East Sussex County Council started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,902 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: East Sussex County Council is counting on you
East Sussex County Council needs your help with “Please help East Sussex by signing the petition to the Prime Minister for fairer funding #StandupforEastSussex”. Join East Sussex County Council and 2,901 supporters today.