Demand Online Stores Selling SAVE A DOG/SHARK EAT A CHINESE Be Removed
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
This all started when t-shirt prints were found sold on the website Spreadshirt with the message:
SAVE A DOG, EAT A CHINESE and SAVE A SHARK, EAT A CHINESE.
Here is an example of racist messages being printed on clothing. I am wondering why there is not a bigger outrage about this – seriously how can anyone in their right mind think that this is okay and acceptable? These clothing prints were found on website SPREAD SHIRT, which is a company in the business of allowing people’s creative juices to flow in designing clothing prints and messages.
So essentially it allows people to create clothing prints and sell it on their platform. But where I get the “freedom of expression”, and boasting to help those with “creative ideas”, any type of expression comes with responsibilities and how is it acceptable to sell a shirt with a racial slur. How is SAVE A DOG/SHARK, EAT A CHINESE acceptable? Can someone explain it to me? This message is extremely problematic and I am wondering why the site has allowed it. Doing some digging, there appears to be two designers who are selling this racist design.
Since then in the following week a number of articles appeared discussing this all over the world, including Huffington Post. Here are some links:
Despite the fact Spreadshirt has removed most of these shirts, they are sold elsewhere including on Zazzle, Amazon and Shirtcity. In addition, there are many other racist shirt prints around as well, but let's get one style removed first and seek these stores review and include practices which will ward off and remove other types of these style of racist shirts. In saying that we are seeking the other sites still selling these shirts to remove them immediately.
What actions can be done:
1. Flood their twitter accounts with your anger and disdain with the hashtag #RemoveRacistShirtsFromSale - @amazon, @shirtcity_tees, @spreadshirt, @zazzle);
3. Email them directly - email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
Here are the demands:
1. All shirts with the message SAVE A DOG/SHARK, EAT A CHINESE be removed from sale;
2. We ask all these site to issue a public statement (including Spreadshirt) as an apology to the Asian communities for selling such racist t-shirts. Thus far even though Spreadshirt has removed the shirts, there has not been a public and formal acknowledgement.
3. These online stores review their policies with regards to racism and discriminatory practices/products/services.
IF THESE DEMANDS ARE NOT MET, WE WILL BE SENDING HARD COPIES OF SIGNED PETITIONS AND NAMING AND SHAMING THE COMPANIES.
Today: Erin is counting on you
Erin Chew needs your help with “Philip Rooke: Demand Online Stores Selling Racist T-Shirts Targeting Asians Be Removed From Sale”. Join Erin and 122 supporters today.