Petition: That YouGov/The Times fairly include Greens in their polls
This petition had 1,728 supporters
Dear YouGov/The Times,
Please update your voting intention tracker to include The Green Party of England and Wales (GPEW), Scottish Green Party, and the Green Party in Northern Ireland, in your "headline voting intention" section (HVI) of the tracker (grouped as "Green", as other pollsters do). If you will not do this, at the very least you should include Greens above your “other” section on the second page of your tracker. We believe now is the time to do so for a number of reasons, which have been included below.
- You are the only significant pollster to not include Greens in your HVI: ComRes, Opinium, ICM, Gfk, and Ipsos Mori all include them.
- Greens are the only national party with Westminster representation not included in your HVI, whereas UKIP, who have no Westminster representation, are included in your HVI. In the "other" section, Greens are grouped with the BNP (whose only remaining representation is a singular councillor) and Respect, a party that was dissolved in 2016.
- Greens stand by far the most candidates out of any not included in your HVI. In the 2017 local elections they are standing more candidates than UKIP, who are included in your HVI, with Greens contesting 54% of seats compared to UKIP’s 48%. In the 2015 General Election, Greens contested 568 seats vs. 59 for the SNP, 40 for Plaid Cymru, 8 for the BNP, and 4 for Respect.
- Scottish Greens, by many measures, are beating the Liberal Democrats and UKIP, and GPEW, by many measures, are beating UKIP.
- Of the people who answer “other” in your poll, around 75% reliably answer Green vs. 6% for the BNP and 1% Respect. This shows Greens are a class above any other party in that group.
Now is the time to fix this, and join every other major pollster in recognising The Green Party as a national party worth polling as such.
Submitted by Nathaniel Higgins and Greenwich Green Party.
Today: Nate is counting on you
Nate Higgins needs your help with “Petition: That YouGov/The Times fairly include Greens in their polls”. Join Nate and 1,727 supporters today.