Stop Animal Testing/Real Fur products
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
- Over 100 million animals are burned, crippled, poisoned, and abused in US labs every year.
- Up to 90% of animals used in U.S. labs are not counted in the official statistics of animals tested.
- According to the Humane Society, registration of a single pesticide requires more than 50 experiments and the use of as many as 12,000 animals.
- More than 50 million animals are violently killed for use in fashion every year.
- Methods used to kill animals for their fur include gassing, electrocution, and neck breaking. Fur-bearing animals are also caught and killed in barbaric body-gripping traps.
These are just a few of the nauseating facts about animal use in fashion in the US alone.
Being neither humane nor logical, the use of animals for fashion, or status, is simply absurd. Safe alternatives, like faux fur, achieve the same effect and appearance without the slaughter of thousands.
Animal testing has gotten us the knowledge we have today, when used for educational purposes, but our technology has risen us above the need for such barbaric treatments.
Few actions have been taken, such as implementing the '3Rs'
"The Three Rs (3Rs) are guiding principles for more ethical use of animals in testing. These were first described by W.M.S. Russell and R.L. Burch in 1959.
"The 3Rs are:
- "Replacement which refers to the preferred use of non-animal methods over animal methods whenever it is possible to achieve the same scientific aims. These methods include computer modelling.
- Reduction which refers to methods that enable researchers to obtain comparable levels of information from fewer animals, or to obtain more information from the same number of animals.
- Refinement which refers to methods that alleviate or minimize potential pain, suffering or distress, and enhance animal welfare for the animals used. These methods include non-invasive techniques."
HOWEVER, as stated in the facts above, the 3Rs aren't being taken into consideration. Even animals that are protected under the AWA can be abused and tortured and the law doesn’t require the use of valid alternatives to animals, even if they are available.
Even if not directly involved, large companies like Victoria's Secret, Maybelline, Benefit and more, fund factories and other companies that DO directly test and abuse these animals - factories that are normally housed in China. Though not first handedly performing these acts, they support and encourage those who do.
'But', you may be thinking, 'aren't there billions of these animals? can't we spare to lose a few?' and though animals like rabbits or pythons aren't going extinct; other animals used for testing are. For example, the fox is in grave danger of going extinct. The Canadian beaver, however not extinct yet, is a 'keystone species' responsible for creating vital wetlands that support almost half of the species on Earth. In fact, 50% of North America's threatened or endangered species rely on beaver wetlands for survival, so losing such a creature would cause a devastating domino effect. The muskrat, otter, and mink are all recognized as Threatened under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and battle becoming extinct due to being hunted for their fur.
This is an issue with many safe, affordable solutions, we just need to take the step to reach them.
Thank you for your support!
Today: Riley is counting on you
Riley K needs your help with “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA): Stop Animal Testing/Real Fur products”. Join Riley and 733 supporters today.