Restore the True Beauty of Intramuros
This petition had 635 supporters
SAVE INTRAMUROS! SHOW ITS TRUE BEAUTY!
Today, Intramuros is one of the well-known places in Manila where old Spanish-era influences were retained. It is also one of the most visited attractions of tourists here in our country, particularly in Manila. However, it is stepping out of its past these days and starting its modernization. Many establishments and housing are already established within Intramuros making it lose its historical essence. There are a large number of informal settlers; in fact, there are approximately 2000 families of informal settlers living within Intramuros. In addition to this, there are many “karinderya” and people selling in “kariton” have been seen in Intramuros. With all this manifestation of urban blight, HOW CAN WE SEE THE TRUE BEAUTY OF OUR INTRAMUROS?
Intramuros Administration (IA) has been in charge of the reconstruction and restoration within the walled city. With Marco Sardillo as the Head of Intramuros Administration, a detailed plan was made and that is “Pagtugon at Pagtupad Tungo sa Tagumpay.” The problem within the program is the large number of informal settlers and the blighted settlements. They have a plan to relocate the informal settlers in a community in Bacoor near the SM Bacoor Building and the planned to be built LRT Station. These housing are called “Socialized Housing” because its cost is lower than “Low-Cost Housing”. They are also trying to establish linkages with the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council and the National Home Mortgage Finance Corporation. Though the relocation efforts were made throughout the years, it was with little success.
BUT ARE WE GOING TO GIVE UP OUR HERITAGE? Are we going to let urban blight and congestion ruin Intramuros? NO! We need to make our move and help our government revive our culture! It is not only them but also us who should make the actions! We need to work with the government to attain the success that we are longing!
Let us make the change that we are dreaming!
A change where we are embracing the future with a loving heart for our country’s heritage!
- Intramuros Administration Partnership with the National Historic Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA)
- To preserve and protect the historical places within Intramuros through reconstruction and recondition of the said places(e.g., Intramuros Walls, Fort Santiago, Baluarte de San Diego, Reducto de San Pedro, Aduana, etc.)
- Intramuros Administration Partnership with Gawad Kalinga, Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), National Housing Authority (NHA), Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), and Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)
- For the Gawad Kalinga, HUDCC, and NHA
- Apply the possible improvements that can be done in the present houses of the families who refused to be relocated in Bacoor.
- Have a proper proportion of the properties or places in Intramuros that can have housings and establishments without disturbing or interfering with the Historical Sites and the tourists.
- For the DOLE, DTI and DSWD
- Provide livelihood programs that would lift impoverished families and individuals from poverty.
- Provide alternative and available jobs to workers that will be affected by the restoration, and non-housing and establishment parameters within Intramuros.
- Intramuros Administration Partnership with the Department of Tourism (DOT) and the City Government of Manila
- To attract more tourists through advertising.
- To help IA gain more funds for the continuous development of Intramuros.
For those who really insist on staying, they will be provided GK Units inside Intramuros and they will be given a chance to start a new and better community that may set up cooperatives and other businesses. So let’s make it happen!
Your support may definitely help in restoring the timeless image of the Walled City; and it will also pave a way for our government to work on the possible reconstruction of the entire cultural heritage monuments inside Intramuros. We hope that this will start a movement, a movement that will show the true spirit of unity!
One vote can truly make a difference for saving this BEAUTIFUL PLACE, not just for us, but for the future generations as well. Sign now and share this to your family, friends, co-workers, classmates, everyone!
Today: Angelo is counting on you
Angelo San Andres needs your help with “National Historic Commission of the Philippines: Restore the True Beauty of Intramuros”. Join Angelo and 634 supporters today.