Save us from the Sewage Lorry Mafia
This petition had 40 supporters
Every day, thousands of residential homes and apartment complexes across suburban Chennai, who are not connected to the underground drainage network, are at the mercy of the private sewage lorries to remove the sewage water from their septic tanks. Not satisfied with the exorbitant charges they impose on their customers, the lorry owners, in order to maximize their profits, illegally dump the entire raw sewage water from the lorries into open fields, lake beds and storm water drains. The capacity of a tanker is approx. 9000 litres and each lorry makes about 10 - 15 trips a day. So, every day, around 100000 litres of raw sewage is illegally let out into the storm water drains by a single lorry. The untreated sewage water destroys the fresh water bodies and becomes a breeding ground for dangerous pathogens. This poses a huge health hazard to the communities living in the neighbourhood. This tragic situation is happening all across Chennai's suburbs.
This picture along with others were taken on the Chennai Bypass Road between Mogappair and Maduravoyal over a period of time. (Link to the pictures) This illegal activity has been happening right under the noses of the officials for several years now, leading to the suspicion that the officials are receiving a cut in the enormous profits to look the other way. There was also an article in The Hindu recently (Link to article) about this menace.
Please sign this petition to stop the massive degradation of the environment due to the reckless actions of a few greedy and unscrupulous people.
We, the long suffering people of suburban Chennai, demand that that these steps be taken on a war footing.
- All the sewage water lorries must be fitted with GPS trackers and their movements strictly monitored to ensure that the sewage water collected by the lorries is transferred properly to the nearest pumping station or sewage treatment plant..
- The illegal inflow of sewage water into storm water drains and water bodies must be identified, curbed and the offenders punished.
- The open storm water drains must be closed with gratings so that only rain water can get through.
- The sewage lorries that flout the law must be seized and their owners booked under the Goondas Act, as they are willfully endangering the lives of innocent citizens.
- Last but not the least, the long delayed underground drainage network must be completed at the earliest and sewer connections provided to all the applicants.
Even if you are not a resident of Chennai, please do sign this petition and start a similar petition for your home town. I believe a similar situation occurs all across India.
Let us unite together for our right to a clean and safe environment and stop this rampant destruction of our precious fresh water sources.
Today: Balaji is counting on you
Balaji Srinivasan needs your help with “Mr. S.P. Velumani Municipal Administration Minister Government of TamilNadu: Save us from the Sewage Water Tanker Mafia”. Join Balaji and 39 supporters today.