Secure funding for an East Coast Greenway from Wicklow to Greystones
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!
We are trying to secure funding for an East Coast Greenway, enabling people to easily cycle or walk between the towns of Wicklow, Kilcoole, Newcastle and Greystones.
A a senior Minister in cabinet, and a native of Greystones, we are petitioning Simon Harris T.D. to use his influence and seniority to secure funding and ensure the East Coast Greenway is fast tracked.
Generations of people have enjoyed the beautiful sea walk along this coast, but in recent years, coastal erosion has wiped out vast areas of land, making the walk very narrow and difficult in places. The area will not survive many more east coast storms. We passionately believe that funding is URGENTLY required for coastal erosion protection, with a cycle and walking Greenway built at the same time.
Our East Coast Greenway group consists of concerned citizens and local councillors from all the towns along the route and we are frustrated that our elected and public officials cannot see the urgency and strategic importance of this project. They can and need to do more with a greater sense of urgency.
We see the following key benefits of this project.
- Create one of the very few coastal Greenway's in Europe with unrivalled scenery and market as a tourist destination both nationally and internationally. We expect over 500,000 visitors per annum when up and running.
- This level of tourism would generate badly needed economic development for Wicklow, Kilcoole, Newcastle and Greystones with these tourists spending significant amounts in hotels, B&B's, cafes, bars, restaurants etc
- The East Coast Greenway would provide an excellent amenity for the physical and mental health and well being of all residents near the route
- The Greenway would make a lot more people aware of the spectacular natural beauty of areas along the route along with the many and sometimes rare wildlife. All planning for the route would be in an environmentally sensitive way and would educate people about the wildlife without impacting the wildlife
- The East Coast Greenway would link with the popular cliff walk from Bray to Greystones and also the planned cliff walk south of Wicklow Town. DART access to Bray and Greystones makes access to the Greenway very easy for the entire Greater Dublin population.
- Last but not least this project will build a coastal defence to stop the coastal erosion which has increased at an alarming rate in recent years.
PLEASE HELP US TO SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING THE PETITION ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE. SIGNING IS GREAT BUT SHARING AND ASKING FRIENDS TO SIGN IS EVEN BETTER !!!!
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE ADVERTISING THE PETITION VIA LOCAL CLUBS AND GROUPS SO IF THIS SITE ASKS YOU FOR A DONATION THERE IS NO NEED TO GIVE ANY MONEY
Any further questions, please contact Ciarán Lally, Chairperson, East Coast Greenway Group - 087 2541185
Today: East Coast Greenway Group is counting on you
East Coast Greenway Group needs your help with “Minister Simon Harris T.D.: Secure funding for an East Coast Greenway from Wicklow to Greystones”. Join East Coast Greenway Group and 12,301 supporters today.