Save Our MEC - Here's the Plan
Sep 19, 2020 —
This campaign has taken off - with over 90,000 of us signed up. Now we need your help to win. Time is short, and we have to act fast.
Contrary to news reports, the sale of MEC has NOT yet been completed.
Here are the most important things to do right now:
1. Help us trigger an Emergency General Meeting of the co-op. If you are a member of MEC, sign on at https://www.ourmec.ca
The board has failed to consult members about the sale of the co-op, and has refused to release the results of the election held earlier this year. If enough of us add our names, we can force an Emergency General Meeting and conduct new board elections.
Note: even though you already signed the change.org petition, we need MEC members to add their names again here, in order to collect membership numbers and formally trigger an Emergency Meeting. If you have ever bought anything at MEC, then you're a lifetime member of the co-op.
2. Donate to our legal fund at https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-mec-legal-fund
The board has sought creditor protection under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA), and we need to go to court to represent the interests of MEC’s more than 5 million members. We have retained a lawyer, and now we need to urgently raise funds for legal costs, before the upcoming CCAA hearing on September 24th.
We need to raise a $50,000 legal fund in the next 5 days to help:
- Represent the interests of co-op members at the CCAA hearing
- Pause the proposed sale of MEC to the American hedge fund
- Ensure our democratic rights to a special general meeting of the co-op, including elections for a new board
- Support legal options for members to bring MEC back to life, for example through refinancing and issuing investment shares.
3. Keep spreading the word
Pass this email on to your friends and family - especially MEC members - to help us sign up enough people to trigger an Emergency General Meeting of the coop.
Thank you for all your support,
The Save Our MEC team
We are a group of volunteers including the organizers of the Save MEC Facebook group and of the two biggest petitions on Change.org. We’re MEC members, like you, who don’t want our co-op to be sold.
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly