Keep the Perry Barr flyover!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
Transport for the West Midlands (overseen by regional mayor Andy Street) and Birmingham City Council are considering removing the Perry Barr Flyover on the A34 as part of the development of Sprint Bus Routes and the Commonwealth Games Athletes Village.
We request that this proposal be halted and the flyover retained for the following reasons:
- it is essential for traffic flow up and down the busy A34;
- it will lead to big queues of traffic in the area, damaging air quality for the new village;
- there is a risk that queues will develop up and down the A34, damaging air quality and increasing carbon emissions over a significant area;
- it is a prime example of modernist concrete architecture. Its curved archway is a key feature of Perry Barr and stands in contrast to the square designs of the 21st century; it is not the eyesore that planners are trying to say it is;
- by elevating through traffic it enables pedestrians to safely navigate at ground level two busy lanes of traffic without having to use crossings. Furthermore it provides safe refuges for pedestrians. This will be lost if it is replaced by multi-lane traffic lights;
- the process of demolition during at the same time as the construction of the Games village will cause unmanageable disruption to traffic over an extended period.
Today: Jon is counting on you
Jon Hunt needs your help with “Mayor of the West Midlands Andy Street: Save the Perry Barr flyover!”. Join Jon and 2,293 supporters today.