Ban full-time AirBnB rentals in Victoria
This petition made change with 55 supporters!
- The average cost of a one-bedroom apartment in the City is $1170,
- The current vacancy rate is 0.6% (October 2016)
- 47% of Victoria renters spend more than 30% of their income on rent and 24% spend more than half of their income on rent,
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights recognizes housing as a human right,
- Rising housing costs directly increase child poverty - one in five Vancouver Island families with children is food insecure and this figure is rising,
- Full-time AirBnB rentals remove housing from the rental stock whereby driving up demand and prices,
- AirBnB reports that their service is intended to help people rent their space when they are away, not facilitate full-time rentals,
We, the undersigned, call upon Mayor Lisa Helps and City of Victoria Council to immediately ban full-time AirBnB rentals in the City.
Today: Elana is counting on you
Elana Angus needs your help with “Lisa Helps: Ban fulltime AirBnB rentals in Victoria”. Join Elana and 54 supporters today.