Save the Minnamurra River - No unnecessary in water boardwalk!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
We are residents of the Kiama Municipality concerned about the impacts a proposed boardwalk/cycleway will have on the Minnamurra River and the local Minnamurra/Kiama Downs community.We believe the final route which has an extensive in water section on the southern end of the proposed boardwalk/cycleway should be eliminated and replaced with a path along the top of the eastern riverbank in accordance with the northern section that is on land.
We believe the boardwalk currently as planned will have significant impacts on the following:
1. The rivers ecology.
2. The local community bordering the project.
3. The ongoing costs to the wider community
The rivers ecology will be potentially impacted by the construction of steel/concrete piles driven into the riverbed for the over water section of the structure; this will be potentially impacting:
- The natural and scenic values of the Minnamurra River
- Bird habitat and nesting areas;( threatened and vulnerable species)
- possible contamination through release of acid sulphate soils
- impacts on natural tidal flows
- Riverine, streambank and wildlife ecosystems
- Breeding grounds and nursery areas of commercial and recreational fish species including the Australian Bass (A vulnerable species)
The local community adjacent to the boardwalk will be adversely impacted by:
- Loss of visual amenity and increased noise
- Increased traffic congestion and parking to access the boardwalk, north and south. Three carparks are proposed along the 1.6 km length of the boardwalk!
The ratepayers of the Kiama Municipality will bear the ongoing maintenance costs that will be extensive for such a project.
Today: Tanya is counting on you
Tanya George needs your help with “Gino Belsito : Save the Minnamurra River - No unnecessary in water boardwalk!”. Join Tanya and 447 supporters today.