We DO NOT support the proposal to build an addition at Commonwealth Elementary School.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Commonwealth Elementary School (CWE) families request that the FBISD Board of Trustees and 2018 FBISD Steering Committee continue to work toward their stated goals for CWE students.
The following goals were determined during previous FBISD rezoning efforts in 2014 and 2016, and many of these goals have been restated within the 2018 Steering Committee meeting presentations and minutes:
· Maintain the neighborhood concept / clean feeder patterns;
· Prevent and eliminate overcrowding;
· Allow for future growth;
· Keep distances traveled by students as short as possible;
· Minimize the need for student transportation; and
· Allow campuses to house students safely and provide adequate services to all students.
A recommendation has been put forth on Fort Bend Independent School District Facilities Master Plan 2018 as of May 4, 2018 to build an addition at Commonwealth Elementary School (ES) for approximately 250 students (12 Pack) to increase the capacity from 743 to 993. Building an addition at CWE does not align with the stated goals above for the following reasons:
1. It does not resolve the stated goal of “prevent and eliminate overcrowding” in the 2021-22 school year, which is 3 years down the road. With the addition, the utilization would be 108% in 2019-2020, 121% in 2021-22, 124% in 2022-23, and 130% in 2027-28.
2. It goes against the stated goal of “allow for future growth”. The projected over-utilization at CWE is due to faster growing portions of Riverstone located within the attendance zone.
3. The condition and capacity of CWE goes against the stated goal of “allow campuses to house students safely and provide adequate services”. We’re concerned about the safety of the CWE students in the event of fire or terrorist. Commonwealth Elementary School is a 21 year old building. The school currently has 937 students (2017-18) – majority of the students located in the school and other students in the 4 portable trailers located in the back of the school.
We propose to build a new combined elementary and middle school for Riverstone master planned community to relieve the over-utilize several elementary schools and middle schools in the area.
On behalf of CWE families, we request that the FBISD Board of Trustees and 2018 FBISD Steering Committee continue to work toward their stated goals for CWE students. There are many options available to reduce utilization at Commonwealth Elementary School, but, we strongly believe that to build an addition at CWE is not a viable option. Our main concern is for the safety and peace of mind for the CWE students and their families.
Today: CWE is counting on you
CWE Families needs your help with “FBISD Board of Trustees: We DO NOT support the proposal to build an addition at Commonwealth Elementary School.”. Join CWE and 242 supporters today.