Call to Action Continues for Governor Cuomo to Enact “CLEAN” Adoption Reform Law (S3419)
Aug 17, 2019 —
Friends of “clean” adoption reform,
Still on target! As reported in July, our appeal to Governor Cuomo to enact S3419 into law continues. See our letter to him. Big thanks to all who have also written or called with support! Please continue to politely call or write the Governor:
The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
Syracuse radio (WSYR 570) (7/17/19): Big thanks to cosponsor and fellow New York adoptee Assemblymember Pamela Hunter! Last month, she hosted Tim as a radio guest to discuss our ongoing appeal for S3419 (the talk begins at about the 3 minute-mark, into the hour recording, and goes to about the 17-minute mark). Enjoy + share!
- As previously reported, the next step is for S3419 to travel to Governor Cuomo (from the Senate). With his signature, he can make New York the 10th U.S. State with a policy of unrestricted access to original birth certificates for all adult adoptees (and the 8th to enact such a law via “clean” adoption reform!) He can lead us to an awesome victory towards equality for all citizens!
Read on for anticipated next steps, which we will continue to update you on, and adjust if necessary, as things proceed.
1. Bill transmittal from NY Senate to Governor Cuomo:
- Will occur sometime between now and about 10 days before the end of the current calendar year. We are not certain yet of an exact transmittal date.
- Timing of transmittal can be affected by a number of factors including, but not necessarily limited to: volume of other bills, ongoing work to consider proposals and the effective date of a given bill.
- As S3419 would go into effect on January 15, 2020, the pace of our proposal remains right on target.
2. Governor receives the bill:
- When the Governor receives S3419 from the Senate: A finite period of days, from the time of receipt, will be afforded to make a final decision to enact or veto.
- As we are in the middle of the 2019 – 2020 legislative session (which convenes two times from January to June), we believe the Governor will have 10 days (not counting Sundays), from the day of receipt, to make a final decision.
3. Governor decision:
- If the Governor honors our appeal, he will sign S3419 into law before the end of 2019. It would become an official Act of New York.
- We feel optimistic! Whatever happens, our efforts for our proposal, and our cause, will continue!
4. Department of Health:
- If the bill is approved by the Governor, we will remain in close contact with his Executive staff and the Department of Health. We will assist if desired and / or appropriate, as they work to specify the new procedure for completing requests for copies of adoptee original birth certificates.
- We will report all details to you. All specific procedures, such as forms to complete a request to the Department of Health, and the nominal fee, would be within the “clean” law enacted.
1. January 15, 2020 (Wednesday):
- Law: If Governor Cuomo approves S3419 (per 2019 steps noted above), then the “clean” Law of Adoptee Rights will go into effect on what would be this very great day in New York history (1/15/20)!
- Process: The Department of Health would be prepared to receive applications and nominal fees to begin processing requests for adult adoptee original birth certificates.
- Joy: Smile New York adoptees and direct line descendants! If S3419 becomes law, this is the day we will regain equal citizenship in the Empire State for the first time since 1936! We will thank all supporters!!
- We will declare a great victory for adoptee rights!
- Our work to support adoptee equality will continue!
WE CONTINUE TO THANK:
- You—In June, we made history with overwhelming legislative passage of “clean” adoption reform!! Thank you for your ongoing support of our human and civil rights appeal. Including you, we count 9,200+ petition supporters and rising—Please keep sharing!
- Sponsors Assemblymember Weprin and Senator Montgomery. And over 100 legislative cosponsors!
- Allied advocates from across the state, including our American Adoption Congress (AAC) members and those from the New York Adoptee Rights Coalition (NYARC).
- The American Adoption Congress, where Tim also serves, for ongoing support. Check out, join and support the AAC! Go to the 2020 Conference is in San Diego (April 15 – 18, 2020)!
Contact Tim with outreach updates, questions or news you’d like to share! firstname.lastname@example.org
Adoptee rights are human rights!
Adoptee rights are civil rights!
Adoptee rights will again be New York rights!
Stay tuned for further updates and thank you to all for appealing to Governor Cuomo to lead New York forward!
Tim, Doris and Jennifer
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly