Call to action! Help Advance Super-Majority Supported “CLEAN” adoption reform (A5494) by June 19th!
Jun 14, 2019 —
Friends of “clean” adoption reform,
Rare milestone! Assembly bill A5494 is now backed by two-thirds of the Assembly, including 80 named Democratic supporters—A majority of the seats, from the Democratic party alone! Now, politely call Speaker Carl Heastie to advance A5494 by the June 19th adjournment!—518-455-3791 and/or write Speaker@nyassembly.gov Adoptee rights are human and civil rights! Now, A5494 / S3419, having reached a super-majority, stands among the tallest proposals in New York history!
Go further! Confirm if your local Assembly representative will also appeal to Speaker Heastie to advance A5494 to an Assembly floor vote! To find your local Assembly rep:
A5494: (Our meetings in Albany have continued since Senate passage!)
- Passed Assembly Health on 4/30
- Now in Assembly Codes Committee
- Assembly Speaker Heastie UPDATED call to action details below! If the bill passes in the New York Assembly Codes Committee, and/or on the Assembly floor, it will advance to Governor Cuomo to be signed into law!!! A "CLEAN" Law of Adoptee Rights!!! We need everybody to help us act!!
- Passed Senate Health 5/14!
- Passed Senate 6/3 in historic floor vote!!!
- Senator Montgomery’s press release!
Media update (read and share!):
- Newsday op-ed, New York adoptees deserve equality, by Tim Monti-Wohlpart on 6/3/19. The piece also ran on 6/4/19 in A.M. New York.
CALL TO ACTION FOR ASSEMBLY SPEAKER HEASTIE!
Carl Heastie, New York Assembly Speaker
518-455-3791 or 718-654-6539
Two ways to determine if you live in Speaker Heastie’s Bronx district:
SUGGESTED EMAIL TITLE (if you write):
Speaker Heastie: Please advance “clean” adoptee rights (A5494)
SUGGESTED NOTE AND /OR PHONE SCRIPT (ADD YOUR STORY IF WRITING!):
“Hello. My name is ________ and I am contacting you from ________ [NOTE IF A CONSTITUENT!].
I am one of over eight thousand six hundred supporters of the “Citizens Petition to Advance the ‘Clean’ Adoption Reform Bill.”
( https://www.change.org/p/advance-clean-ny-bill-of-adoptee-rights ), which was included in two important pieces this session:
- Newsday June 3rd op-ed: New York adoptees deserve equality, which also appeared in A.M. New York on June 4th.
- Mother Jones March 13th investigative piece: Most American Adoptees Can’t Access Their Birth Certificates. That Could Soon Change. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/most-american-adoptees-cant-access-their-birth-certificates-that-could-be-about-to-change/
We respectfully ask you to advance Assemblymember Weprin’s sponsored bill, A5494, through the Codes Committee and on to an Assembly floor vote by the slated June 19th adjournment. The Senate companion bill, S3419, passed overwhelmingly via the historic floor vote which took place there.
Assembly bill A5494 is now backed by two-thirds of the Assembly, including 80 named Democratic supporters (out of 100+ bipartisan cosponsors). That’s a majority of the 150 seat Assembly, from the Democratic majority party alone.
This vital proposal will, as intended in the legislature, restore unrestricted access to original birth certificates for all adult adoptees. It is the result of a Department of Health workgroup which took place last year following the 2017 veto of a very different, regressive bill.
Now, it’s time for the New York Assembly to bring A5494 to a floor vote. We will restore and honor adoptee human and civil rights by making A5494 / S3419 the law.
Our rapidly growing cause is supported by the Academy of Adoption & Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA), the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Child Welfare League of America (CWLA) and the North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC) just to name a few.
Adoptee rights are human rights. Adoptee rights are civil rights. With A5494 / S3419 we can get it right and make it equal.
Thank you for your consideration!
Contact Tim with outreach updates or news you’d like to share! email@example.com
We continue to thank:
- You—This month we made history with the first ever New York Senate floor vote for “clean” adoption reform!! Thank you for your ongoing support of our human and civil rights appeal. Including you, we count 8,600+ petition supporters and rising—please keep sharing!
- Sponsors Assemblymember Weprin (A5494) and Senator Montgomery (S3419). And over 100 legislative cosponsors!
- Allied advocates from across the state, including our American Adoption Congress (AAC) members and those from the New York Adoptee Rights Coalition (NYARC)
- The American Adoption Congress, where Tim also serves, for encouragement as the session proceeds. Check out, join and support the AAC!
ADOPTEE RIGHTS WILL NOT BE IGNORED IN NEW YORK!!!
Our New York legislative session is slated to continue until June 19th.
Adoptee rights are human rights!
Adoptee rights are civil rights!
Adoptee rights will again be New York rights!
Stay tuned for further updates and calls to action!
Tim, Doris and Jennifer
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly