The South African Minister of Health, Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi, has announced that the government will be buying 520 000 doses of the HPV Vaccine to be given to young girls aged 9 and 10. This is due to happen in February 2014.
As a group of parents, grandparents, teachers, healthcare practitioners and citizens of South Africa, we are deeply concerned:
• There is a serious lack of scientific evidence that the HPV (Human papillomavirus) Vaccine is safe to give to young girls. After Gardasil (the name of the HPV Vaccine) was licenced and three doses given to 11 – 12 year old girls, there were thousands of reports of sudden collapse with unconsciousness within 24 hours, seizures, muscle pain and weakness, disabling fatigue, Guillain Barre Syndrome, facial and limb paralysis, brain inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, blood clots, optic neuritis, strokes, heart and other serious health problems, including death, following the receipt of this vaccine.
• As of 2012, there have been a total of 26,304 reports of adverse reactions made to the federal Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) associated with the HPV Vaccines, including 118 deaths. Please note that these figures do not include all countries – the actual figures are much higher.
• There is no evidence that this vaccine prevents cervical cancer.
• Gardasil contains aluminum and polysorbate. Aluminum is neurotoxic; both are known to cause cancer in lab animals and alter immune response.
• We must learn from other countries. The Indian Council of Medical Research has suspended the cervical cancer vaccination program after deaths and complications were reported when this vaccine was administered to young girls in India. A Supreme Court Suit has been filed over the HPV Vaccine Tragedy in India. The question that is being asked in India is how were 24 000 young girls allowed to be vaccinated without being given any information on potential risks or follow-up appointments?
The South African Government is buying 520 000 doses of this very vaccination.
• Dr. Diane Harper, lead researcher, HPV vaccine development: “This vaccine should not be mandated for 11 year old girls …. Its not been tested in little girls for efficacy. At 11, these girls don’t get cervical cancer – they won’t know for 25 years if they will get cervical cancer. Giving it to 11 year olds is a great big public health experiment.”
• In regards to Child Rights, The South African Constitution states “A child’s best interests are of paramount importance in every matter concerning the child”
It is our duty to protect our children. As the gatekeepers of our children’s health (and lives) we have the right to know the truth and to make informed decisions:
- Chief of Staff, Ministry of Health
Ms Dineo Raphuti
- Minister of Health South Africa
Dr Pakishe Aaron Motsoaledi
- Deputy Director General, Health Department
Please Stop 2014 mass HPV Vaccination drive in South Africa! Our daughters deserve better. This vaccine has been deemed as unsafe in many countries in the world. We would like to see further testing of safety and efficacy before these vaccines are administered.
Vaccine Awareness South Africa started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,052 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.