Recent Developments Threatening the 'Holy City' Status of Amritsar
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
As we all know that SHRI AMRITSAR SAHIB is well known in the whole world of being a very holy and sacred place where GOLDEN TEMPLE, DURGIANA MANDIR, RAM TIRATH and in-numerous other holy places co-exist. Due to this very reason, tourists from all over the world make it to the city of Amritsar to visit these various "TEMPLES OF GOD".
The popularity of holy city can be well imagined by looking into some statistics available online (source: Wikipedia) which tells us that every year nearly 15 million people from all over the world come to AMRITSAR for visiting GOLDEN TEMPLE and other such holy places in the vicinity.
However, despite the fact, a new culture of PUB(s) has erupted in the holy city of Amritsar, all of a sudden.
Definition of PUB as per Wikipedia: A pub is an establishment licensed to sell alcoholic drinks, which traditionally include hard liquor, beer, and cider. It is a relaxed, social drinking establishment and a prominent part of the urban environment.
This culture which can be aptly defined as "REMNANTS OF WESTERN CULTURE" has made its presence felt as a whole commercial strip of Ranjit Avenue, Amritsar attributes to the mushrooming of these pubs. Eventually, 8-9 establishments have already come into being, and many others are likely to be brought up by those who are preparing to start this lucrative business.
Both of these, the TEMPLES OF GOD and these;
- Purgatories owned by
- Unusually self-centered people who are
- Blot on
- Sikhs and Sikhism (PUBS),
could coexist, but this leads to in-numerous questions which find their way into the minds of a normal person and perturb them as this has done to us. Some of these questions are;
- That, how would those pilgrims and tourists feel when they come to Amritsar for paying homage at GOLDEN TEMPLE, DURGIANA MANDIR, RAM TIRATH etc.. and suddenly get confronted by these establishments (pubs). Doesn’t these lethal developments TARNISH THE IMAGE OF AMRITSAR OF BEING A HOLY CITY?
- That, what urgency might have been, back in the mind of the licensing authority, who would have given the approval for these establishments (pubs) to be brought up in the Holy City? Are these contributing in a special or a significant manner, to uplift the economy of the city or are these a result of the enormous pressure to which the bureaucrats usually succumb to, so easily?
- That, when so many examples of dry areas and states exist within the Indian subcontinent and even across the world, then why THE SAME COULD NOT NOT BE IMPLEMENTED IN OUR CITY? The likes of KURUKSHETRA at the micro level and, GUJARAT and DUBAI at the macro level remind us that the same could be and must be IMPLEMENTED in the Holy City of Amritsar which is the most significant pilgrimage of Sikhs.
- That, local administration and people have become self-centered to such an extent that they didn’t even realize what blunder they are committing by allowing such establishments (pubs) to proliferate in the Holy City?
- That, if we cannot think for the betterment of the Amritsar city, how could we proceed for the upliftment of our nation? Had we ever thought about our city and its holy status, we would have definitely prevented the advent of these establishments (pubs) in our vicinity which undermine the Holy City Status of Amritsar.
Keeping all these facts in mind, we request support of all the PUNJABIS from all over the world to raise their voice in this matter of grave concern.
In the land of lords, say no to PUBS!
As per S. Bhagat Singh's quote; "If the deaf are to hear, the sound has to be very loud". So, the local administration which is usually deaf to the demands of the public at large could only hear our voice when the same gets echoed unanimously from each and every corner of Punjab.
This is not only for our city which enjoys such a high stature in the whole world, of being home to likes of GOLDEN TEMPLE, but this is for our future generations. Indians and Indian culture can’t imbibe these REMNANTS OF WESTERN CULTURE. We are an altogether different class of human beings. Our present and future generations might find these things as a lucrative deal. However, those of us who happen to be the parents and grandparents of this generation are worried and they are finding it hard to thrive and survive in such bizarre scenario. Being one of them, we can well understand the whole situation and act in the best interest of the community.
INTERESTINGLY, the objection to this development has been raised by quite a few Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) as well.
Keeping all these facts in mind, we as members of SIKHS society request your kind and valuable support in signing and supporting this online petition which would eventually help in the eradication of this filthy western culture establishment from our society and uphold the Holy City status of Shri Amritsar Sahib!
Today: SIKHS is counting on you
SIKHS needs your help with “Deputy Commissioner of Amritsar: Recent developments threatening the 'Holy City' status of Amritsar”. Join SIKHS and 393 supporters today.