TEXAS ELECTED OFFICIALS: STOP PET STORES AND FLEA MARKETS FROM "SELLING" PETS FOR PROFIT!
This petition had 2,663 supporters
PUPPY MILLS ARE a CRUEL AND INHUMANE industry. AS LONG AS THERE IS A PROFIT IN IT. Pets suffer from Parvo, worms, genetic defects. Most are not vetted. These PUPPY MILLS HAVE LITTLE TO NO OVERSIGHT. Females are forced to have litter after litter of puppies until the mother can no longer produce and is dumped. These breeders often do not pay taxes for the money they make. Breeders and the kill policies of the shelter are actually hurting our economy.
TEXAS is overpopulated and overwhelmed with pets needing homes. Shelters are overflowing. ANIMAL RESCUES ARE OVERWHELMED AND UNDER FUNDED. WE can't keep looking the other way. As a result of the overpopulation, a significant amount of Healthy Adoptable pets in Shelters are killed everyday. A humane solution is needed. The killing of adoptable pets in shelters is not a humane solution! Hold Puppy Mills accountable, stop the breed for profit of Pet Stores and Flea markets. Nobody should be profiting from this misery.
WHY SHOULD THIS LAW BE CONSIDERED?
BANNING PUPPY MILLS would save TAXPAYERS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A YEAR AND PROVIDES HOMES TO THOUSANDS OF ADOPTABLE PETS FROM KILL SHELTERS. If less pets are being produced, there would be less pets ending up in shelters, and less pets Euthanized. Stopping pets from being sold for profit will take the demand away.
MOST PUPPIES SOLD IN PET STORES COME FROM PUPPY MILLS OR BACKYARD BREEDERS. WE ASK OUR POLITICIANS TO TAKE A STAND AGAINST PUPPY MILLS. WE ALSO ASK OUT POLITICIANS TO OFFER PET STORES INCENTIVES TO FEATURE ADOPTABLE PETS FROM ANIMAL SHELTERS/RESCUES. SHOW TEXAS YOU CARE ABOUT TEXAS ANIMALS. TEXAS NEEDS BETTER, TOUGHER LAWS THAT PROTECT ANIMALS FROM ABUSE AND OVERBREEDING.
There are not strong enough laws in place protecting the animals in Texas, and the laws that are there are not being enforced. Change is needed to protect Texas pets currently in mills and Pet Stores and Flea Markets. MANY of these Puppy Mills and backyard breeders do not pay taxes as they should be doing and get away with this while hurting the economy, which is not fair to hard working Texans making an honest living who pay their taxes.
Cats and dogs can feel happiness, love, pain, sadness, suffering. They don't deserve to be mistreated and forced to breed over and over until they can't anymore.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals estimates there are about 10,000 puppy mills in the entire United States, which produce what's thought to be around 2 million puppies each year. Homeless animals outnumber homeless people 5 to 1. Every year, approximately 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized only because shelters are too full (and have limited resources) and there aren't enough adoptive homes.
Putting this law in place would help give a chance for the thousands of shelter and rescue pets already waiting for homes. This will give a better chance for many shelters to become "no-kill" if they wish to work towards that. "No-kill" policy has actually proved to be beneficial to the economy of the community, according to a study regarding Austin's "no-kill" policies.
We URGENTLY need this law in Texas.
This will help Fight the cruel conditions of puppy mills that often mass produce and sell animals to the pet stores.
WHAT WE ASK FOR:
1. TEXAS ELECTED OFFICIALS to ban pet stores, flea markets and auctions from selling pets and to only allow rescue or shelter pets. Allow a grace period for pets currently in Pet Stores, to avoid being dumped or inhumanely disposed of.
2. MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO DUMP PETS, WITH STRONG PENALTIES FOR DUMPING or Injuring/killing ANIMALS. WHEN PUPPY MILL DOGS ARE UNABLE TO PRODUCE LITTERS ANYMORE, MANY BREEDERS DUMP or KILL/DISPOSE THESE DOGS TO QUICKLY GET RID OF THEM.
3. Ban the sale of pets less than 8 weeks old.
4. Ensure these laws and all animal related laws are enforced. Please set up an easy way to report violations, and for it to be properly investigated and enforced. These laws mean nothing without enforcement.
The laws that are in place are not enough, and are not properly enforced. Animal Control and other authorities often look the other way from violations. Many are getting away with animal abuse, over breeding, not paying taxes for what they make from breeding, etc. This issue needs to be addressed and better laws put in place.
5. We ask officials to invest in a statewide spay/neuter and TNR effort that will provide low cost and free spay/neuter options to Texas residents across the state, to invest in spay/neuter programs already in place to create more in areas needing this most.
6. We ask for our elected officials to consider working with rescues with the focus towards a statewide no kill policy and to set a goal for when this policy will go into effect. No Kill policy has proven to benefit the economy.
Stopping pet stores from selling pets is a necessary step towards "no kill policy" .
We hope and pray, for the sake of the ANIMALS in the great state of TEXAS, that our leaders will show action on this subject IMMEDIATELY- as SO MANY are waiting for HELP and SUFFERING right now.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
TELL GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT PET STORES AND PUPPY MILLS: https://gov.texas.gov/apps/contact/opinion.aspx
EMAIL GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT: Info@GregAbbott.com
CALL GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT: (512) 463-2000
The Texas Lieutenant Governor Comment Line: (512) 463-5342
Today: A. L. is counting on you
A. L. M. needs your help with “DEMAND TEXAS OFFICIALS BAN PET STORES AND FLEA MARKETS FROM "SELLING" MILL PETS!”. Join A. L. and 2,662 supporters today.