Keep historic Prince of Wales bridge open
This petition had 1,939 supporters
The Prince of Wales bridge is a landmark of the nation's capital. It offers spectacular views of Ottawa, and connects us to the rivers that helped found this city. Recently, city officials announced they will spend $250,000 to bar access to the site by building gates at the entrances of the bridge.
As we approach Ottawa 2017 celebrations, we cannot allow this landmark of the city to be closed to public access.
Instead, policy makers should:
- Divert the $250,000 to safety upgrades on the bridge. These could include railings, replacing missing rail ties, an emergency access phone, and soft lighting.
- Continue conversations regarding cost-sharing with the City of Gatineau and the National Capital Commission.
- Commit to funding this site for a cycling pathway in the medium term.
- Estimate the costs of expanding the LRT to Gatineau via this bridge as part of Phase 2 or 3.
By the numbers:
- Gates barring access to the Prince of Wales bridge are estimated to cost $250,000.
- A cycling and pedestrian path on the site is estimated to cost $10.5 million.
- In the 2016 City of Ottawa Budget, $2.7 million was committed on the condition that the City of Gatineau and the NCC agreed to share the costs of the project. They have not yet committed to funding the infrastructure project.
- An estimated 77,912 people commute between Ottawa and Gatineau for work, and this is expected to increase.
- The Prince of Wales bridge has historic value and is recognized as a Capital Gem.
- Development of this site is included in the pathway network of the Ottawa Cycling Plan.
- The NCC support the creation of a multi-use path across the bridge as part of their 50-year Plan for the Nation's Capital.
- The City of Ottawa has expressed an intention to fund the project, but the NCC and Ville de Gatineau will also need to contribute for this to become a reality.
Today: Aileen is counting on you
Aileen Duncan needs your help with “City of Ottawa: Keep the Prince of Wales bridge open”. Join Aileen and 1,938 supporters today.