Cancel the Rubashkin tour of the United Kingdom
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Watch the CNBC Rubashkin documentary here.
An American court convicted Sholom Rubashkin of 86 counts of financial fraud including bank fraud, mail and wire fraud, and money-laundering, sentencing him to 27 years in prison. President Trump commuted the sentence after 8 years in 2017.
According to the official statement, "This action is not a Presidential pardon. It does not vacate Mr. Rubashkin’s conviction, and it leaves in place a term of supervised release and a substantial restitution obligation, which were also part of Mr. Rubashkin’s sentence."
Mr Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin is due to visit London for five days starting on 14 January, and organisers of his trip say he will give several speeches in Stamford Hill, Golders Green and Gateshead.
* We are all in favour of freedom of speech but that does not mean we give everyone a platform.
* We believe that criminals who have been rehabilitated should be allowed back into society but that does not include honouring them to celebrity status. Without clear evidence of public remorse, events like this should not be taking place.
* We object to any excuse that tries to minimise the crimes for which he was convicted, such as "the sums were not so large", "many other people would do and do the same in his situation", "his crimes helped other people" or "he did lots of good deeds".
* We object to all claims of anti-Semitism used as a tool to garner sympathy for Mr Rubashkin. He was convicted of crimes that he committed on his own free will. He was not found guilty because he was Jewish, and to suggest so is an insult to Jewish people.
* Any event that promotes a disregard for civil laws, or even gives the impression of promoting a disregard for civil law, is a distortion of Judaism.
We, the undersigned, are ashamed that Mr Rubashkin has been invited to address various Jewish events across the UK. We call upon the organisers of these events to cancel this tour immediately before it brings Judaism into further disrepute. Mr Rubashkin has caused a worldwide Chilul Hashem (disgrace) which is being exacerbated by this tour. We declare that these events are a distortion of Judaism and we hereby disassociate ourselves from these events in the strongest possible terms.
Not in our name.
Today: Rabbi is counting on you
Rabbi Zimmansky needs your help with “Cancel the Rubashkin tour of the United Kingdom”. Join Rabbi and 270 supporters today.