Residents of Bartholomew County Request Denial of Permit for Dog Kennel
This petition made change with 2,415 supporters!
By signing this document, I affirm that I am 18 years of age or older and reside in Bartholomew County, Indiana. Only signatures of Bartholomew County residents may be counted.
Given that Section 12.4(D) of the Zoning Ordinance requires the Board of Zoning Appeals to deny conditional uses that do not meet one or more of the following criteria:
- the proposal will not be injurious to the public health, safety, and general welfare of the community,
- the development of the property will be consistent with the intent of the development standards established by the Zoning Ordinance for similar uses,
- granting the conditional use will not be contrary to the general purposes served by the Zoning Ordinance, and will not permanently injure other property or uses in the same zoning district and vicinity,
- the proposed use will be consistent with the character of the zoning district in which it is located and the recommendation of the Comprehensive Plan,
and given that the proposed dog kennel does not meet 1 and 3 as it will create:
- a high level of risk for bacterial and parasitic infection for humans via dog feces,
- an environment for the proliferation of disease vectors such as flies and mosquitoes, including mosquitoes that carry Zika and West Nile viruses,
- contamination of surface waters and nearby wells, and
- a decrease in property values of neighboring homes,
a denial of the application for a conditional use permit for the proposed kennel will uphold the regulations of the county meant to protect public health and protect property values.
Furthermore, the application includes a Planning Department reference to the kennel “becoming” a home-based business. This is not possible. The proposed dog kennel does not meet the requirements for a home-based business as laid out in Bartholomew County’s Comprehensive Plan:
- A residence must already be in place, utilities cannot be increased beyond what is standard for a residence, the total area dedicated must be lesser of 500 square feet or 20% of the residence, and no specialized accessory structure shall be constructed for the purpose of housing the home-based business.
Therefore, we, the undersigned, do respectfully request that the Board of Zoning Appeals deny the petition of B/CU-17-07 (Aaron and Lena Oberholtzer).
By signing this document, I affirm that I am 18 years of age or older and reside in Bartholomew County, Indiana.
Today: Lauren is counting on you
Lauren Bannister needs your help with “Board of Zoning Appeals: Residents of Bartholomew County Request Denial of Permit for Dog Kennel”. Join Lauren and 2,414 supporters today.