ASU "Greek Village" is a Ridiculous Sham, Let's Show ASU We Won't Live There
This petition had 81 supporters
UPDATE: We have confirmation from 100% of Fraternity chapters at ASU stating they will REFUSE to live in the complex on all grounds. Thank you all for your hard work!
UPDATE: ASU has been "digging up dirt" on individuals who are speaking up for students against this horrible plan, READ THIS ARTICLE BY THE PHX NEW TIMES TO UNDERSTAND THE HIGHLY UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR FROM ASU HERE.
THE ASU "GREEK VILLAGE" WILL BE OWNED BY ASU AND AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES (ACC). ACC IS A MASSIVE CONGLOMERATE WHICH IS KNOWN FOR POOR QUALITY STUDENT HOUSING, LYING ABOUT FEES AND UNFAIRLY CHARGING STUDENTS UNDER FALSE PRETENSES. ACC IS SIMPLY A "CASH-COW" IN REITs (REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT TRUST FUNDS) NEITHER ASU NOR ACC ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR GREEK ORGANIZATION ASU AND ACC WILL RECEIVE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR CONNING YOUR GREEK ORGANIZATION.
ASU recently has started to make some plans for the "Greek Village" public.
ASU claims this "Greek Village" is being built in response for student request of a "Fraternity and Sorority Row". The solution is basically dorms built by the massive private company, American Campus Communities.
ASU tore down all fraternity housing years ago, and has since been greatly and publicly against Greek life.
ASU staff will not reply to any student, alumni, or media questions regarding this village. They are simply building it without examining complaints. There has been no input accepted from these groups.
Price estimates for the modified monthly cost of living in this village range from $1,000- $1,500 per month. That price is before your organization dues and does not include parking fees, there are no parking facilities.
Don't Fall For It
- Dorm like living, for upperclassmen
- Overpriced rent (much higher than houses or apartments in the Tempe area) for much, much less than what other places offer
- Forced 4 year leases (yes, you read that right)
- ASU maintains 100% ownership and control of the property, you get nothing out of the investment.
- No way out of lease once it is signed, you will be FORCED to pay for 4 years.
- ASU has a right to enter and search your area for any reason.
- Alcohol free, even for those over 21
- Limited guest access, gates and locks
- No private backyard areas, no events allowed
- No cooks/chefs allowed for your organization
- RA-like residents, keeping watch and reporting to ASU for policy infractions.
- FSL will have offices / live on site
- No private bedrooms
- No private bathrooms, only communal
- Limited (if any) private living space
- ASU will force organizations to pay for empty beds within your section of the dorms for all 4 years.
- ASU will force your organization to setup a housing corporation to collect debt from alumni in the event you decide not to live there anymore. THIS MEANS YOUR ENTIRE GREEK ORGANIZATION IS ON THE LINE JUST SO ASU AND ACC (AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES) CAN MAKE A QUICK BUCK.
Let's tell ASU how big of a deplorable scam this is and we won't fall for it.
DO NOT SIGN ANY DOCUMENTS GIVEN TO YOU BY FSL.
Let's band together and ensure that not a single Greek organization will live in this "housing village."
TALK TO ASU ALUMNI AND ASK THEM TO CEASE ALL DONATIONS TO ASU UNTIL THE GREEK VILLAGE PLAN IS RETRACTED AND A RESPECTABLE PLAN IS PUT IN PLACE. USE THE POWER OF YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS TO ENSURE THAT THE TEMPE AREA ALUMNI UNDERSTAND THE SCAM ASU AND ACC ARE TRYING TO PULL HERE.
Alumni are not supportive of this plan and many have already voiced their disapproval. The more alumni we get involved, the more likely ASU is to be receptive in fixing their mess of a plan.
This village allows them a close watch over organizations. They will give instant sanctions for minor infractions.
Internal documents obtained list the reason this complex is being built as to "monitor and regulate" Greek activity as well as to sanction chapters.
The "New American University" does not support and is strongly against all facets of Greek Life.
We are contacting non-ASU related property companies and land developers for the possible building of a non-ASU affiliated Greek Row. Some talks are already in place. In the mean time check out websites like zillow.com to live in non-ASU affiliated residences. ASU has influence over Apache area apartments as well. American Campus Communities owns 922, Vista Villas, as well as other housing locations. ACC is known for poor quality student housing, and adjusting exuberant fees.
Spread the word and take the pledge to ensure not a single Greek organization lives in this horrendous plan.
Today: Anon is counting on you
Anon Doe needs your help with “ASU : ASU "Greek Village" is a Ridiculous Sham, Let's Show ASU We Won't Live There”. Join Anon and 80 supporters today.