Community Led Oversight of The Anaheim Police Department Now!
This petition had 46 supporters
After a critical incident Anaheim Police Department should not investigate themselves.
The Anaheim community needs independent and effective civilian oversight of the police department. Meaning, the current Anaheim Public Safety Board must be improved to increase transparency, accountability, and public safety.
Dear Members of the City Council:
The undersigned Anaheim residents and other concerned community members strongly support efforts by the City Council to develop an independent civilian review board in Anaheim. We assert that the overall goal of such a civilian oversight board must be to maintain accountability, promote transparency, and promote public safety. We believe that this is only possible if the board is developed in partnership with community members, including those who have been most affected by the Police Department, and if the board created reflects these eight principles:
- Independent board membership. No current or former law enforcement or police association members. People most impacted by police must be represented. The Body must be reflective of the population in Anaheim.
- Broad scope to review complaints and other incidents.
- Independent investigatory authority with subpoena power. Subpoena power is people power. It must be able to investigate complaints, use of force, and deadly shootings.
- Ensuring accountability by influencing disciplinary measures. The board must negotiate a disciplinary matrix with the city council and police department to ensure that discipline is standardized and transparent.
- Power to audit, issue recommendations, and set policy.
- Secure funding. The funding should be tied to a fixed percentage of the police department budget.
- Due process protections for police officers.
- Community engagement and public access and reporting.
Today: Anaheim Civilian Oversight Task Force is counting on you
Anaheim Civilian Oversight Task Force needs your help with “Anaheim Mayor and City Council: Community Led Oversight of Anaheim Police Department Now!”. Join Anaheim Civilian Oversight Task Force and 45 supporters today.