Stop Militarization Now!
Stop Militarization Now!
PEOPLE'S PETITION AGAINST THE ABUSES OF THE AFP, PNP AND OTHER SIMILAR ENTITIES, AND THEIR IMMEDIATE EVICTION FROM THEIR CAMPS IN PEASANT COMMUNITIES IN THE COUNTRYSIDE
We, citizens of the Republic of Philippines, are filing this petition for the immediate pull-out of military camps and cessation of abuses perpetrated by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP), and related armed groups in the communities of farmers, peasant women, fisherfolk, indigenous people, youth, and other sectors in the countryside.
The Total War Policy in the countryside, executed as the counter-insurgency program Oplan Kapayapaan, Memorandum No. 32 and Martial Law in Mindanao, all resulting to increasing number of victims of human rights abuses, majorly farmers who are opposing land grabbing by big landlords, local and foreign businesses.
We are one in the noble cause of defending the rights of farmers, food producers of our country, against government abuse and neglect. We demand the end to the following:
1. the abusive military operations by the AFP guised as Community Organizing for Peace and Development that:
a.) deny the legal, democratic, and constitutional rights of people for due process, freedom of speech, peaceful assembly, and right to organize;
b.) trigger illegal arrests, illegal search into households, coercion such as forcing townsfolk to be their guides in their search, forcing them to attend assemblies, forcing them to sign on blank sheets, forcing them to have their picture taken, and other things against their will;
c.) bar farmers from tilling their land and implements curfew and food blockade;
d.) militarize civilian activities and carries out psychological warfare through medical missions, house-to-house census, and other ways to deceive, threaten, and spy on the people;
2. extra-judicial killings, massacres, abductions of farmers;
3. militarization of civilian facilities or camping of police and military units in barangay halls, schools, day-care centers, households, farms, and within the community;
4. incessant aerial bombings and attacks in the farmers and ancestral communities that trigger mass evacuation, terror, disruption of classes, social services, livelihood, and people's daily ways of life;
5. threats, sexual harassment, and other forms of exploitation upon peasant women and children;
6. targeting of peasant organization leaders who are usual victims of red-tagging or being labeled as members of the NPA, filing of trumped up charges, abduction, extra-judicial killing, and other forms of human rights violations.
As attestation to this, we sign this petition.