domestic violence victims

42 petitions

Started 2 days ago

Petition to Nashville Mayor David Briley, Metro Nashville Council, Metro Nashville department of family safety, Bill Haslam

Stop "Men of valor" from forcing violent criminal back into their victim's lives.

Local faith based rehabilitation organization ,"Men of Valor"are seeking to establish parental rights and the reintegration of a violent criminal into the lives of his previous victims which include three biological children and myself his previous wife.One victim, a child I was carrying and the twin sibling of my surviving daughter passed due to a physical assault leading to their fetal demise, I called her Ferrin. After years of being abused, I left with my remaining children to a new home. The police watched him and visited me often to check in. My ex was also on the run from the police at the time. He did end up finding me. He used GPS tracking, my co workers, my social media, and even family.He was everywhere I was.He was finally arrested but not before causing major physical, financial ,and psychological damage, all of which was documented and is easily proven by local law enforcement and public record. He is also a drug addict and has been for nearly 25 years.Methamphetamine,cocaine, pills, heroin, and alcohol are the usual. He would take anything that was available in a pinch. He's been diagnosed as mentally unstable on top of all of this. He was found to have been getting high for more than two days in a hotel room along with the corpse of a female friend. He admitted he gave her the injection that ultimately killed her. Out of fear and addiction he did not call for help as she were dying nor did he bother to report her eventual death until days later.According to her family, her skin was far too decomposed to find any evidence of needle marks. He changed the story to say she shot herself up but she wasn't known as an active drug user until he came into her world.Due to financial and situational reasons, I was unable to pay for a divorce. Finally after saving up for years along with help from family l was able to hire an attorney .I was granted a divorce based on, "inhumane treatment" and given Orders of protection throughout the years. I thought we were finally free from him. Fast forward to 2015, My son began to ask about his biological father who at this time was incarcerated yet again for another violent offense. My daughter was indifferent because as far as she is concerned her real dad is my current husband. After some intense conversation and lack of legal guidance, I allowed visits which were heavily gaurded by prison staff. I did this so my children could see him to ask him the hard questions and let him explain his actions to them. I was hoping for closure or gained insight to give both an honest and fair perception of their father. I never wanted my children to know all the details about their bio dad, however they can and have searched him on google leading to more questions and horrible emotional reactions. The children along with mental health professionals decided it was too much and asked to not visit with him anymore.My son suffers from a multitude of emtional issues stemming from earlier contact with his father. He would show up at family events and other places to illegally contact the children.He once came to our home but was promptly asked to leave after physically abusing our dog and acting very strange in general.After doing isome research and realized I had the legal right to avoid him at all costs, so that's what we did. My children both suffer with emotional scars, requiring therapy and medication to help them heal. My son actually requires a support animal as well.They were improving until recently. He was given once a week phone calls during a two hour time frame by the local judge in our case. He's been inconsistent in following through. He was directed by the judge to only contact them via my husband's cell number. We recieved a text after one of his missed court ordered calls.In the text he states that he was too tired to call and had fallen asleep. His attorney stated layer on in court that he was actually just working late that day. On the days he actually makes the call to them,he talks to them about adult issues and court details.He'll tell them that I'm keeping him from them.He promises gifts that never arrive. My daughter expresses extreme discomfort while being made to speak with him. He'll say, " I love you baby" to her and she shuts down. She says it makes her feel wierd because she really doesn't know him. All of this is causing more mental anquish to my children and I am powerless to stop it. Both mental and physical health professionals involved in the children's care have voiced their concerns and possible repercussions of allowing their biological father back into their lives. I myself am also still trying to heal from the physical, mental, sexual,financial, and emotional abuse at the hands of this person. The offender was either incarcerated or dodging law enforcement for 10 years with very limited contact with surviving biological children. His criminal record is lengthy. Including his juvenile offenses, he has spent the majority of his life incarcerated or in the depth of a major drug addiction. During his brief stints of freedom he produced and abandoned 5 verified children with different women.There has been no financial support and no consistent healthy parental involvement by the biological father/offender for any of these families.He was forced to pay child support on three of the children within the last 12 months or so. During the last 11 years without him, we faced homeless for a period of nearly two years.We were highly dependent on government benefits. Finally we seemed to be getting back on track.We now live in a decent house with our pets in growing city that we love.We are successfully living and maintaining on a tight budget, but we're not struggling  for food and shelter. I thought we had moved on.My husband is considered by our children their Dad.He's the only constant positive male influence other than their maternal grandfather they've had their entire lives. They now have a 6 year old half sister and a safe and stable home environment.We don't have a lot of money but we do our best and are able to provide for all of our needs. My two that are the main subjects here, have now been thrown back into a chaotic situation involving their bio father. Our entire family faces financial devastation and instability including separation of the present family unit including their extended family, friends, and even the pets that help create a healthy and secure environment for them in. In an effort to reduce our living expenses to afford a legal battle that we're facing, I would have to move with my two older children. Being that Nashville is now booming we would be unable to stay locally. I could still potentially lose my case without representation. My husband and youngest daughter would have to move as well but only after finding new employment. We'd also probably more dependant on government benefits.We would lose close and supportive family.We can not afford to continually fight this organization that has unlimited financial resources gained through donations along with church and community backing. In my state,the religious and traditional values are deemed more important than the offender's victim's best interests long term.The offender is now using intimidation tactics including visits to my personal friends and family.People that have no established relationship with this man and also do not want one. He has moved into our area of town and has been reported to have been asking questions pertainig to our families personal lives.This is stalking behaviour, the very same behaviour that lead to an attempted assualt involving a sheet metal hammer. Legal officials pushed for a new Order of protection.  I was given an Ex Parte but when it was presented in court to another judge,she denied the motion and dismissed my case. She wouldn't take into account his past violent actions towards myself and children, nor did she take into account his last criminal violations, his history of stalking, or his re entry rate vs his time spent as a contributing member of society. She classified my fear as unreasonable and based on hearsay. His attorney lied, made me rehash terrible memories and insinuated that I was being vengeful in my motion for protection. My goal is to be heard by local and national officials in an effort to protect my family's basic human rights. This includes the right feel safe, the right to be protected from economical abuse,the right to remain together as a longstanding family unit uninterrupted by religious, social political, nor "traditional thinking" motivated legal motions. We deserve the right to live in peace and of sound mind. As victims, we should have the right to decide who is and who is not allowed into our lives. This decision shouldn't be based on shared DNA alone. We should have the right to be heard. We should have the right to not allow ourselves and children to be at risk of potential future victimization. We should have the right and resources to legal representation as victims of violent crime.His last offense made local headlines for the crime of aggravated burglary of a home. He was found with a chainsaw amongst other tools,nude and rambling. Arrest records quote the offender  stating his intent to harm individuals in the home due to his belief that he was in the movie,"The purge". A 14 year old boy managed to escape before being harmed. He served another 3 years for this charge. The organization,"Men of valor" provides the offender with free legal counsel and defense.Financial support including housing, food, transportation,and clothing.They also provide employment and pay most of ,if not all previously incurred legal fines.As his victim's we are being forced to fight and unfair legal battle. Being that we make too much for legal aid but are not wealthy enough to afford legal representation, I'm forced to represent our case myself.n order to afford legal representation, I'd have to relocate to a more affordable living situation, breaking my lease, further damaging our financial stability, credit , rental history, and current financial path to home ownership.In court, it has been mentioned in his defense that Men of valor has a great success rate of rehabilitation. Their website boasts a 15% reentry rate of the former inmates that complete their programs. The United States Bureau of justice statics released a study focused on the recidivism of state prisoners released. 77% of drug offenders and 71% are found to be arrested for a new crime within 5 years of their last release date. Based on a recent study of domestic assault, most violent offenders are re-arrested for similar offenses even after time served and rehabilitation efforts including counseling. Please help us in seeking justice and the prevention of future victimization of other domestic assault survivors.  

Brittany Newberry
73 supporters
Update posted 1 week ago

Petition to Johnny Isakson, Nathan Deal, Georgia State Senate, Georgia State House

Shared Parenting-Joint Custody Assumed First in All Divorces Involving Children in Georgia

I have been going through a custody battle here in Ringgold, Georgia now for three long years. I raised my child until she was 5 years old. During the end of my marriage with her dad. He decided to force a mental evaluation on me. This was during a time my mom was having major life threatening issues as well. She was very sick. I was in my home. Not causing any trouble. Him and I had a few disputes but he was the one who was throwing tantrums. He broke stuff, got a DUI etc during this time. The police were out at our home the night he got a DUI, they seen the damage he done in our home in front of not only our children, a friend's child as well. However the police come and force me to go to get evaluated. Because my ex-husband convinced my sisters to sign something at magistrate stating they were concerned about my mental state. Some of the police knew he had domestic violence issues. He had been acting out very recent. That didn't change their mind on making me get evaluated.  Fast forward. During my custody battle my rights were completely violated. They used my medical history against me. Which he had nothing much at all, as far as proof. They just based everything on his testimony. They claimed they were worried about my mental history. I am stuck trying to prove I am sane. DO you realize how hard that is? The more you want to prove that the harder it is. I am sane. However I am depressed due to my rights being trampled on. He keeps saying I need to take my medication to see my daughter. I have showed him medication. I have showed him counseling papers. Nothing is ever going to be good enough. It is just a big hoopla excuse.  The scariest thing I have been diagnosed with was bi-polar, and he has stated from his own mouth. I have never and would never hurt any child in court. Oddly enough bi-polar is caused by mental abuse and stress. I think most everyone going through a long divorce and custody battle is a little bi-polar. He refuses to give me anything but supervised visits. And for the last two and a half years I have been under SUPERVISIONS!! I have paid a local company called Four Points for over a year to supervise my visits.That concluded in 2016. Since then I have had to have my sister supervise us for a year. She has a life of her own. She would love to be able to live her every other Saturday doing her own thing. I have raised children most of my adult life. Him and I had four children between us. I had a son, he had two daughters, and together we had a daughter. He knows for a fact and most every one  can see from the past I have always been a loving and dedicated mother. My son is 18 years old, he has never had any stitches or broke bones. I may be a little too protective :) but my kids are well took care of.  All of this heart ache and pain has been brought on mostly because he has a lawyer, and I can't afford one. I find it odd, they could not care less about his criminal history. But they are concerned about what a state funded doctor concluded after talking to me for 5 minutes as I was extremely mad after being forced to go. I have begged and pleaded with the judges to view his criminal history, to force a drug test. Because I know for a fact he had issues with drugs. No one HEARS me without representation. I thought our court system was made "For the People" People meaning average citizens. His argument is invalid for why I do not have rights to normal visitation or even split custody.  For 1. Even if I do have some sort of mental handicap it is my right to treat it any way I see fit. I can treat it with natural herbs, religious ministries, and I DO NOT have to take any medication I feel is a threat to my health. And I do feel like 85% of all medication the state funded doctors distribute is a threat. They mostly prescribe medicine they are testing. That is all they have offered me. That is the way they stay funded I guess, by treating us all like guinea pigs. For 2. If the diagnoses I have can not be medically proven, I have the right to rebut the diagnoses entirely. And still to this day bi-polar is a MEDICAL GUESS. Nothing has been linked scientifically to prove anything about it. It is basically an opinion. I can' t even say hypothesis, because that has to be created from research.  For 3. To take away any of my rights based on a handicap or a mental issue. I was suppose to be given legal representation and a jury trial. None of these rights and or laws have been followed. There are several things I want changed. I want the forced mental evaluation law to be changed. Not all of us get along with our siblings. And to force someone to get evaluated should take much more than two signatures from a blood relative.  I want SHARED PARENTING to be considered first. I want it to be illegal like it is in most states to not have a set time for visitations. Our divorce papers state I can see her at any and all times as long as we agree. There is no SET time. Which causes many issues. I got a TPO just trying to get him to AGREE on a set time that the DIVORCE papers STATED to do. I want the Catoosa County Court to follow laws. From my understanding they are suppose to ask about domestic violence in all custody cases. He has had charges on him due to domestic violence. Not ONE time did any judge in the last 3 years during my battle ask me if there was any domestic violence past or present.  I want government agencies to have to take complaints seriously even in the midst of a custody battle. DEFACS hasn't investigated anything on him assuming I am a scorned ex-wife. And last but not least we NEED legal aid for civil trials in Catoosa County. My daughter has been appointed a Guardian Ad Litem, but he has yet to follow normal proecedures. His report was supposed to be completed for over a year. It is still not in my file although it was COURT ORDERED. Most of the lawyers who offer services who consider financial hardship are in Atlanta and refuse to drive to Ringgold, or are in Chattanooga and not allowed to cross state line. But for this petition to be signed I guess it has to be about one thing. SO lets start out with what could have prevented this nightmare from the beginning. SHARED PARENTING-I would like to see in all divorces in Georgia that Joint Custody BE THE FIRST ASSUMED CUSTODY IN ALL DIVORCES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOT FIT. AND IF AN OPPOSING PARTY CLAIMS THE OTHER PARENT IS UNFIT. UNFIT SHOULD BE PROVEN WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT TO CHANGE THE RECOMMENDED JOINT CUSTODY. Meaning there has to be some HARD EVIDENCE supporting the claim. This law would make a world of difference and lighten the heart ache for children and parents alike who are victims of Parental alienation in Georgia. Please be aware of our needs and help out by signing this petition and sharing.  

Amanda Locke
205 supporters