Dear Epi Pen Bill Advocates,
This is it! We are down to the wire. There is word that our bill may finally move in the Senate, but we have to increase the pressure immediately.
Please take the time to call, email, and visit with:
Our message needs to include the following:
- Why you support House Bill 824 "Epi Pens in Schools"
- The bill needs to be heard in the Senate Education Committee immediately. It has languished for too long!
- There are no groups opposing this bill. There are many groups supporting (NC Association of Pediatricians, School Nurses Association, Mom's Rising, FAAN/FARE, NC FACES, Charlotte and Triad Parents of Allergic Children)
- This bill is cost neutral. The law will allow NC grant money that will cover the costs of the Epi Pens.
- This bill will save children's lives, but we must not wait until we have a child in NC to name the bill after.
- North Carolina is one of the last states to enact epi pen legislation.
- Do not modify the bill to make it weaker. We want it to be mandatory for schools, not voluntary. If you do get into a discussion about modification, the two changes we would support are changing the wording of "epi pen" to epinephrine autoinjector" so schools are not brand tied. We also support extending the immunity to private schools. however, we are down to the wire and it is better to pass the bill as is than have nay more delays while wording is changed.
Other states have recently publicized cases where similar law have saved childrens lives. Feel free to share these links and any others that you find.
Please reply if you have things to add to the message or if you hear anything back from your contact efforts. Please also forward this email to anyone that I have left off or who you know will spread the word and help us get this lifesaving law passed.