I started this petition in hopes of getting the input and the support of our community in an appeal to the Phillippi Farmhouse Market Steering Committee for the following reasons:
1. I am a local urban grower interested in being a farmer vendor at the Phillippi Farmhouse Market. My application has been turned down twice now. The reason I have been given is that the market can not support more than four produce vendors. Since the market has opened this season, more often than not, only two of the produce vendors have been set up and selling.
2. I grow and offer what is currently not available at this farmers market. I mainly grow baby mixed salad greens, and have other items as well. My urban farm is located only 3 miles from the market and provides truly locally-grown produce.
3. I have long established relationships with local farms (some certified organic, others growing using organic practices, but not certified). Either they would come to the market or send produce to the market through my stand.
4. I think the Phillippi Farmhouse Market needs to follow their own mission statement, as well as the food policies of the Sarasota County Comprehensive Plan, to support local agriculture by allowing more farmer vendors into this farmers market.
5. My customers have told me that they do not feel that there is an adequate offering of local agricultural products currently available at that Phillippi Farmhouse Market and are very much interested in having more choices. It’s my contention that this market can support more local farmers that offer a greater variety of foods because it will attract more customers.
6. I believe that this market can and should attract many more customers and support more local farmers. "If you build it they will come." And I know I can build my part of it.
If you would like to see more local farmer vendors at the Phillippi Farmhouse Market, please support us by signing this petition and by spreading the word.
Passion for Produce LLC